| twenty four

SPENCER REID

SPENCER REID.

THAT NIGHT, I WENT BACK
to the hotel room with an abundance of questions prepared. Hotch gave me the make amends with Morgan and Connelly speech, and truthfully, that's exactly what I planned to do.

When I left the police station that day, I did a lot of thinking, and came up with this: I could live with Sylvia Connelly hating my guts and moving on with other guys. We only kissed, after all...and if it didn't mean anything to her, I could deal with it. Right now, of course, the thought of moving on hurt a lot, especially after crushing on her for two years...but the thing was, I was just so exhausted. Chasing after her and trying to hurt her was mentally draining, and at this point, I was willing to accept my defeat and let her win.

I was done with this never-ending war between us, because I didn't feel like losing both Morgan and Garcia, whom I've known for nine years, in comparison to Sylvia, who I only met exactly two years and 49 days ago from today. My best friends weren't worth losing over her.

I stood in front of Penelope and Derek's room, drawing in a sharp and long breath before lifting my hand to softly knock on the door. I felt my heart pound in my chest, hoping that I wouldn't have to face Sylvia first.

A second later, it swung open, and Derek stood on the other side, greeting me with a lovely scowl.

"What do you want?" Morgan snapped, narrowing his eyes darkly at me. The mere look was already pissing me off, but I swallowed down my pride, clearing my throat.

"I need to talk to you." I said in a serious tone. "Please." I added.

"Fine." He grunted, shoving past me with his arms crossed on his chest. Morgan turned to me, giving me the eagle eyes as he impatiently waited for my apology.

"I'm sorry." I said plainly.

"Uh huh." Morgan rolled his eyes. "And what for?" I wanted to roll my eyes back. He was acting like I was some kindergartener who spoke out of then.

"Hurting her. Cussing and yelling at you. And lying." I mumbled stubbornly. "It's just not worth it."

"What? Her?"

"No. Losing both you and Garcia over her." I said truthfully, rubbing the back of my neck, letting out a soft sigh. "She's kinda gonna hate me for the rest of my life—I don't need two others who are on the same boat as her. So, I'm here to say sorry."

Morgan was quiet for a moment, letting out a defeated sigh and lifting his head with a worried look as he scanned me. "You know you're starting to worry me a lot, right? I didn't see it before, but there's something happening."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"This new you. I know I said it was you finally glowing up, or whatever, but...I know this isn't you." Derek said with a bitter laugh, shaking his head. "You don't even do girls, Reid."