Chapter 1 ~ A Shadows Mark

Leavenworth, Washington, April 9th, 2019.

The bell for the next period broke through the silent and tired English class, stopping Mr. Richardson from reading his boring book about witch trials in the late times. "Miss. Andrea Anderson, may I please talk with you for a minute?" Mr. Richardson, setting the book down with the rest of the ones he has read to the class. Liam Richardson, English teacher for juniors at Hampton High School, pretty much the one teacher that the popular kids use and abuse. He was new and quite frankly, handsome, he was a young teacher, fresh out of college. He had short brown hair and hazel eyes; even coached the Hampton Horns, another thing girls would drool over even as a coach.

"What is it, Mr. Richardson?" I asked, shoving my papers into its folder and into my bag. The next period was gym class; however, this was a good way to get out of it. Grabbing my ponytail, I threw my brown hair up, a small bunch of silver hair falling out, a failed attempt to cover as much of it up with Walmart-brand, brown hair dye. Bleach blonde hair, a gene I hated that my mother gave me.

"How far do you know your family tree? You guys are doing that in history I would assume?" He asked arranging his desk for his next class.

"I got to the Seventeenth Century, that's about it so far," I replied, curious as I watched him hurry back and grab a few papers and the book. "What is it?"

"Have you not been paying attention in my class?" He realized that of course, I've been sleeping, "We have a few students here at the school who have dug deep enough to figure out that their family was alive during the witch trials in Venice, are you curious to know how far your blood goes back to?" he asked, holding the book we are to be listening to in class, "You remind me of Alydia, both courageous and stand up for what you believe is right. Who knows, maybe you're lucky to be a descendant."

I stared blankly for a while, couldn't tell if it was from my lack of sleep or his weird, confusing words, "Hopefully my life doesn't end like hers,"

"Actually, it is said her life never ended, the Latin spell she chanted before her last breath was said to translate about reincarnation, she could still be among us," There he goes again, but I sure as hell wasn't going to stand and listen any longer. I gave him a slow nod and wave before backing myself slowly out of the room.

Arriving late to the gym, I just decided to stay in the locker room until they got done doing the daily mile long run outside. I shoved my bag in my corner locker after taking out my black shorts and gray exercising shirt. Untying my black boots, sliding off my black high waisted jeans and my blouse top, I threw on my gym clothes. I grabbed my blue water bottle from my backpack and decided to fill it up. Once I opened the door, so did the men's locker room. The schools designed was terrible and put the two doors next to each other so it would always hit they both opened. Jason Madden, one of the senior that is stuck in the junior gym class. He was also an ex-linebacker and now quarterback for the Hampton Horns. Jason wore his football t-shirt too, a rams head charging through the shirt, its horns pointed and ready to plow through anything.

"Sorry about that," I said as I ducked away, trying to leave as soon as possible.

"You ran into me, getting my water all over my shirt and I only get a 'sorry'?" He said with a grin forming across his cheeks. At that moment I never wanted to slap someone like I wished to do to him.

"That's too bad now isn't it?" I said with a shrug, obviously annoyed.

"Mrs. Louise wouldn't like finding one of her honored junior students had ditched out of running,"

"Mrs. Louise would not like to find her, favorite football player AND swim team captain ditching out of class altogether," I shot back, with that I took my leave, walking out of the small hallway and into the gym.