Chapter Fourteen - Only a Dream

After dinner was over that night, Jaime left with Cole and Izaha, presumably to a meeting in his office

After dinner was over that night, Jaime left with Cole and Izaha, presumably to a meeting in his office. I caught a glimpse of a smile in my direction when he glanced at me as he rounded the corner. My feet carried me out of the dining room and down the hall, only passing a handful of people on the way. They nodded when they passed, finally growing used to my presence here. A few even introduced themselves, but I couldn't match the names and faces.

I found myself on the threshold to the room with the piano, empty again. I slid onto the wooden bench and stared down at the ivory keys. I thought about the deal I made with Jaime. I rested my hands against the keys, but not with enough pressure to make a sound.

I also thought about the promise I made myself many years ago, swearing off music all together. My hands trembled of their own accord and I forced them to be still. Closing my eyes and shoving all thoughts out of my head, I tried to recall a forgotten melody. My heart raced and I lifted a finger, poised above the keys. I can do this.

One single note pierced the air. A stray tear slipped from under my closed eyelids, and my hands slid from the piano into my lap. I let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding. I can't do this. An ache settled in the middle of my chest, and I pressed my clenched fist against it, trying to dull the pain. I stood slowly, replacing the cover over the keys and left the room without glancing back.

*****

I could feel my throat tightening. The bandage across my forehead itched, but I kept my hands locked behind me. I tried to swallow past the lump in my throat but my mouth was too dry. My face twitched from the fake smile that had been plastered on my face for the past two hours. I watched as people approached the two closed coffins and offered their condolences to me, but I didn't hear their words or see the pity etched on their faces as they looked from me to the framed photos on wooden easels. All I heard was the blood rushing in my ears and my heart pounding in my chest. I didn't notice the sea of black take their seats, waiting for the funeral to start.

I took my seat in the front row by myself. I felt the tears threatening to escape, but I squeezed my eyes shut. A hand touched my shoulder from behind me and I didn't have to turn to know it was Ms. Whittier, my piano teacher for nine years. I peeked through my lashes at the podium, watching the priest speak. He droned on how they were in a better place now and they wouldn't suffer anymore, even though they should still be here with me, before he turned his eyes towards me with a small, sad smile.

"Now a few words from Ava, a beloved daughter."

Why did I agree to this? I stood tall, like my mother would've wanted, and walked behind the podium, carrying my notecards in shaking hands. I took a deep breath and looked at the crowd of people for the first time. I recognized most of them, family and friends. They looked up at me, patient and waiting, but soon they blurred to one black mess as tears brimmed in my eyes.