Epilogue

I balanced a bag of biscuits and a tray of coffees in one hand and my other hand closed around the small box kept in my jacket pocket as I walked down the sidewalk

I balanced a bag of biscuits and a tray of coffees in one hand and my other hand closed around the small box kept in my jacket pocket as I walked down the sidewalk. It had rained the night before which wasn't unusual for Venice this time of year. The air was brisk and it hadn't warmed up much yet as the sun was just beginning to rise above the canals. Not many people were out this early.

Ava was still sleeping in bed this morning when I ventured out for some breakfast. There was a place not far from where we were staying that sold the best buranelli. I passed several gondoliers getting ready for a busy day, many of them nodded their heads in greeting as I walked by. I made a mental note to make a reservation later. Ava would enjoy a gondola ride through the canals.

I propped open the door to our room with my foot, trying to keep from spilling the two coffees. As I set the keys on the small table by the door, I heard a rustling from the other room. The bed was empty when I poked my head through the doorway and I was about to check the bathroom when I saw her.

Ava was relaxing on the private patio that overlooked the canals. Her eyes were closed and a book was still open in her lap. Her legs were stretched out in front of her on the recliner. She was wearing one of my dress shirts that was dangerously short. As my eyes trailed up her perfect legs, a warmth spread throughout my body.

She must not have heard me come in because when I dropped the bag of biscuits and coffee on the table next to her, her eyes opened and her lips parted in surprise.

I brushed my lips against her cheek. "I brought breakfast."

Her eyes lit up as she pulled the bag towards her, grabbing a biscuit and sinking her teeth into it. All I could do was watch the happiness on her face as she chewed. She moaned as she took another bite.

I sat down in the chair opposite her and resting my eyes, just enjoying spending time with her in Italy. She was watching a couple walk their small dog with a huge smile on her face. I couldn't wait to show her the world.

"Ava?"

When she finally tore her eyes away from the dog, I was on one knee beside her chair. Her eyes widened and her hands flew to her mouth, watching as I reached into my jacket pocket. Her eyes glittered like the blue waters of the canals. I opened the box but her eyes never left mine.

"Will you marry me?"

A/N

If you've made it this far, thank you so very much! I hope you've enjoyed reading this story as much as I've enjoyed writing it. I love you all.