“She's a feisty one, isn't she,” he whispered. A smile appeared on his face. “I like that.”

And then he leaned back into his chair, and began merrily munching away at his meal.

Me? I felt sick. And when I glanced at Celeste and Heath, I knew what I was sick with. It was jealously, brewing its way into the pit of my stomach.

-*-

Early the next morning, I rummaged through my closet for a jacket. It was December and the weather was beginning to drop toward the freezing levels. Today, it was around 25°, but the cold didn't really bother me. I just didn't want mother or father to get on my nerves by telling me about how sick I could get.

Finding a decent leather jacket, I pulled it on and glanced down at the ruffled covers on my bed. Eh, the maids will fix it.

Running a hand through my hair, I cruised towards the door, and unlocked the knob. Twisting it the right, I opened it up and stepped outside.

I almost ran into someone leaning onto the wall.

“What the hell!” I yelled. “Who do you think you- Oh. Celeste.”

Celeste looked at me with wide eyes. She had been using the wall like a crutch, her arms crossed against her chest, and her eyes closed. It seems like I had startled her awake. She smiled at me sheepishly.

“Sorry, I was tired,” she said, using her right hand to rub at her eyes like a little girl. A small yawn slipped her lips.

“What are you doing here?” I asked confused. She bit her lip.

“I didn't know what time you'd be awake, so I came early, just in case you got up early. I do have to guard you, you know.”

“What time did you get here.” She frowned.

“Um, I think around two in the morning. Or maybe at one, I can't be too sure.” I looked at her surprised. She was that intent on keeping me safe?”

“Next time, try about getting here at nine, okay? Or I'll just come get you instead.” She shook her head.

“I don't mind waiting here in the morning.”

“But I care about you getting some sleep. So listen to my orders, okay.” Celeste rolled her eyes, not looking a bit sleep deprived.

“Alright, you're the boss. So what are we doing today?”

We began to walk into the hallway, and I glanced at her uncertainly.

“I don't know, I don't have anything planned.”

“Oh.”

“But we can go riding, if you want?” A grin slid onto her face.

“That's sounds great. Oh, and sorry about taking Celestial. She was king of a comfort to me.”

“That's fine,” I said. “I was just really worried about her. If someone stole her, I'd be devastated.”

“You must really love her then,” Celeste said. I glanced at her, and nodded.

“Yeah,” I whispered. “I really do.”

Her head turned to me too, and for a moment, it felt like we were completely alone, like there was nothing in the world that could stop us from feeling like this. Her eyes seemed to search me, but then she hastily turned away, and started to march ahead.

Cloaked Beautyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें