Chapter 15

"Oh Beca you don't have to do those," Chloe speaks, as I scrub away at the dishes. I glance to the right to lock with her eyes just as she sets more dishes to the side. I shake my head and give her a small smile. "Seriously. I can do these."

"Chlo, it's okay. It's the least I can do," I smile gently. Chloe nods, giving me a small smile back as she takes the dishes that were sitting to dry and begins drying them. I didn't say anything as my eyes went back, looking down to the dish in my hand. I scrub away before placing it off to the side, seeing Chloe pick it up and dry it not even moments later.

"I don't know what you said to Ruby, but she's doing..homework." I let a chuckle escape from my lips. I turned my head looking to Chloe whose lips carried a smile. I bit my lip and looked away, placing another dish to the side. "Seriously Bec. I haven't seen her do homework in like years." I shrugged my shoulders as I felt Chloe lean her shoulder into mine. I look over once more, to find her smiling down at the dish she was drying with a bluish towel. Gently, I lean back and bump her, seeing her look up and lock eyes with me. I look away a moment, turning the water off and grabbing a towel, drying off my hands.

"I told her the truth Chlo.I spoke the best I could from..."I let my voice trail off as I looked back to the ginger. I set the towel I was using to dry my hands to the side and lifted my hand. Carefully, I moved it to her Chloe's chest, placing it over her heart. "From here." I looked up from my hand and caught Chloe's eyes. Silence grew between us staring into each other's eyes. Slowly, I pull my hand away only to feel her fingertips wrap around my wrist placing it back. I tilt my head, confused but then felt her heartbeat. My eyes trailed down to where my hand was placed over her heart. I stare for a moment, feeling her heart beating a million miles per second.

"Hey-Oh what's going on here?" Ruby's voice echoed throughout the room, causing me and Chloe to separate. We both looked at one another before looking at Ruby.

"Nothing," we both said in unison as Ruby tilted her head and crossed her arms over her chest. A small smirk began inching to her lips. I shook my head at her.

"Mhm, sure nothing. That's what they all say," Ruby smirks. I roll my eyes turning and taking the towel from Chloe's hand. I begin drying the rest of the dishes hearing Chloe walk towards the table. Within a few moments I saw Ruby out of the corner of my eye. "When are you going to tell her?" I turned and looked to Ruby, giving her questioning eyes. A chuckle escaped her lips, as she hopped onto the counter, taking a seat. I turned and walked to the cabinet placing dry dishes back. I come back over and she's still staring at me.

"Tell who what?" I ask, continuing to dry. Out of the corner of my eye I see Ruby shake her head and her hands grip the countertop. Her legs dangle off of the side of the counter, as she sits looking like a little kid. A memory replays in my head of when she used to do this when she was wee little. A smile dances across my lips when I hear the girl speak up once more.

"When are you going to tell my mom you're still in love with her?" The words escaped the girl's lips and I immediately looked to where Chloe had headed to the kitchen table, but she was nowhere in sight. "She left to do laundry." I turned and looked to Ruby, placing the towel down and placing the plates back into the cabinets. When I turn back around Ruby's staring me down and I hold up my hands in defense.

"Look kid, it's complicated," I said, walking over and leaning against the counter.

"Complicated? No, what's complicated is what happened. What's magical is she can forgive you for all of that." I took a moment and crossed my arms over my chest, looking straight ahead. A clear view of the living room was ahead of me. I stare straight out finally seeing Chloe organizing the pillows and organizing blankets. I tilt my head to the side, feeling a smile spread against my lips. Memory of what happened previously before Ruby entered the kitchen played back.The feeling of Chloe's heartbeat still against the palm of my hand.