The Hunted

DRACO POV

I’d decided not to ask Mrs. Weasley about the portkey idea. The Weasleys and I didn’t exactly see eye to eye, not after how I’d treated them all these years. Jennifer came up with an idea to send us to her grandparents’ house, in Boston. Our broomsticks were there waiting for us, so that if disaster struck, we’d be prepared. The portkey was an old can of tomato soup in the middle of the backyard. The first place we’d go was Liana’s

            Hours had past. I was sure that something had happened to Terry on the way. Liana put her head on my shoulder as we watched a movie together. “Are you okay?” she asked. “You’re so tense.”

            “I’m scared,” I admitted. “I don’t think that we should go upstairs. Someone’s coming for us. I know it. And we have to be ready.”

            “Okay. We could sleep down here. I’ll just get my wand,” she said, getting up. I heard her go up the staircase. Outside, I saw a flash of green light and a thump to the ground. Oh no, I thought. Liana came back downstairs, wand in hand. I grabbed mine off of the coffee table, eyes widened in fear and anticipation.

            “Someone is out there,” I said carefully. She said something, but all I heard was a high pitched laugh that was all too familiar. Bellatrix Lestrange. The front door clicked and we stood face to face with my wicked aunt Bellatrix.

            She laughed again as she entered the house, followed by her husband, Rodolphus. “There we are,” she sang. “We’ve found them! We’ve found them!”

            “Pity that you’re owl isn’t—wasn’t—very bright,” Rodolphus said. “It had no clue that it was being followed.”

            I raised my wand at him, not sure of what else to do. He pointed it at me in turn. “We mustn’t kill him,” my aunt hissed. “He must be saved for the Dark Lord!”

            “And the girl?” her husband asked.

            “He says we mustn’t kill her either. There’s been a special request one of the others to kill the girl,” Bellatrix said with a crooked smile.

            Who would want to kill Liana? What Death Eater would want her dead? None of them know her. Did they? And what did the Dark Lord want from me?

            She continued. “Fallen in love with a Half-Blood, Draco? I surely thought I’d taught you better… about blood purity.” Next to me, Liana scowled. Behind Bellatrix, Jennifer appeared. She put a hand over her mouth, signaling for us to keep quiet. She walked closer to me. “How pathetic. Just wait until your father hears about this one.”

            “Expelliarmus!” shouted Jennifer, disarming my aunt.

            “How dare you! Who are you?” Bellatrix exclaimed.

            “Jennifer Brooks,” my friend said proudly. Then flashes of colorful lights came out of our wands as the five of us dueled. Furniture and knickknacks were being destroyed, but none of that mattered. We’d probably never be able to come back here, even if we managed to escape.

            “Avada Kedavra!” Jennifer’s eyes widened in shock as the spell hit her in the chest. Her body collapsed, hitting the hardwood floor. Her eyes were dead and her brown hair hung over her face like a lamp, covering her features.

            I opened my mouth in disbelief. I wanted to kill my aunt and her husband too, just for being involved. But we had to get to the portkey, before it was too late.