Getting Acquainted

I didn’t see Liana for a few days. One morning during breakfast, she tapped me from behind. “Could I talk to you for a moment?” she asked me. I saw Pansy look at her with disgust and Blaise had a nonchalant look plastered across his face.

            “There’s nothing to talk about,” I said, taking a small sip of pumpkin juice.

            “Draco, please,” she said with a bit of urgency in her voice. I hesitated, but I got up and followed her anyway. She led me into an empty corridor. “I didn’t tell anyone… About you being a Death Eater and all,” she told me.

            “Well thanks for keeping it between us. Now if you’d excuse me, I’d like to get back,” I said. She stared at me for a few seconds and shook her head.

            “You’re unbelievable. Bella’s right… You may be attractive, but you’re an arse,” she said, turning to go back to breakfast.

            “Attractive, am I?” I called after her. But it was too late. I smiled at the fact that she’d called me attractive. As I walked back to breakfast myself, I realized that Liana was serious. I was an arse. I made a few enemies because of that. I blamed my father for raising me to believe that just because I was a pure blood, that I was better than everyone else. And I blamed myself for continuing to grow up thinking that I was. The truth was that I wasn’t. I was no better than anyone else.

Over the next few weeks or so, Liana wouldn’t look me in the eyes. I wanted to apologize to her badly, but I was sure that I’d mess everything up and worsen the situation.

One Saturday afternoon, everyone went to Hogsmeade. I wanted to go, but I couldn’t will myself to go. I decided to stay, while everyone else had a bloody good time.

            I decided to take a walk by the lake to clear my head a bit. I wished this could all end here. My life was pretty much worthless now. I had no bright future… My future was to kill and torture innocent people. I didn’t want that at all… I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted exactly, but definitely not this.

I saw a girl sitting in the grass as I neared the water. It was Liana. I felt horrible about how I’d treated her, so I walked toward her. She turned to see who was walking and turned back toward the water. She was crying again. I sat down next to her. We didn’t say anything to each other. We sat quietly for a few moments. “I’m sorry,” I blurted out.

“Well, well, well . . . Draco Malfoy is sorry,” she said, still sniffling. “What is it you want?”

“I wanted to apologize,” I explained. “And I wanted to tell you that you were right… I am an arse.”

“An attractive arse . . . that’s full of it,” she said and gave a faint smile.

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

“I suppose . . .”

“Can we start over? As friends?” I asked her. She nodded. “You’re the first person to be nice to me in ages, you know?”

“What about Pansy? She’s not nice to you?” Liana asked me, raising an eyebrow.

“I guess she was sort of all right, but she’s not exactly my type of girl,” I confessed. “So why is it that you haven’t gone running yet? I’m a Death Eater . . .”

“I don’t care about any of that. I don’t judge.”

“But I could kill you right now! I’m dangerous.”