Fighting Fire with Fire

“Gryffindor takes the lead from Ravenclaw! The score is 50 to 40!” said Luna in her usual dreamy voice. She had on her ridiculous lion hat or whatever it was. I shook my head as the rest of the Slytherins sang another chorus of “Weasley is Our King.”

I was distracted because I was too busy thinking about Liana. I couldn’t believe she kissed me first. And I couldn’t believe that she’d actually kissed me back when I made a move. Then I heard yelling coming from behind me. I saw Liana in the distance with a boy… Seamus. She was stomping away and Seamus was trying to get a hold of her.

My instincts told me to get up and get Liana away from him. “Where are you going?” Pansy asked as I rose. “The match isn’t over.” I simply ignored her and went down the steps to exit the Quidditch field.

As I got closer, I noticed that Liana’s face was stained with tears. “Just stay away from me!” she screamed. I’d never seen her so upset. It hurt me, seeing her that way.

“Liana, please,” he said, grabbing her arm.

“Seamus, let go,” she said. But he wouldn’t give. “Let go of me!”

Then she noticed that I was coming their way. Seamus turned to face me, but it was too late. I’d already shoved him, causing him to stumble backward and let go of Liana.

“Mind your damn business, Malfoy!” Seamus yelled, shoving him back. Just as I was about to punch Seamus in the face, Liana stopped me.

“Come off it! Both of you!” she yelled desperately. I lowered my fist, but not before Seamus could land a punch on my own nose. I stumbled and landed on the ground. “Seamus!” She rushed over to my side. “Your nose… It’s bleeding.” I touched my nose and looked at my finger, which had a red liquid on it. Definitely blood, I thought.

Liana helped me get on my feet, gave a disgusted look to Seamus, muttered something about him being unbelievable, and took me back to the castle. I assumed that she was taking me to the hospital wing, but she led me to the bathroom on the second floor. By then, my nose had already stopped bleeding. I went into a stall, grabbed some tissue and cleaned up the remainder of the blood.

“Thanks,” I said finally. I smiled at her, but she didn’t return it. She still looked upset. “What’s the matter?”

“Seamus. He can be a… handful,” she replied. She walked over toward the sinks. “Why’d you leave the match?”

“Because I thought you were in trouble. I was afraid that…”

“That what?”

“That he might’ve hit you or something.”

“He’d never hit me. It’s not in him… I’m sorry that he hit you though.”

“No need for apologies…” She stepped closer toward me. I looked down into those piercing green eyes and I gave in to temptation. I leaned in and kissed her. She wrapped her hands around my neck as she kissed me back. Then I pulled away. “This is where we first met…”