Sports Captain

I did a double take at him before realizing it was actually him. Maybe because of my gaze on him for the past five minutes or just like that, he turned towards me. At first, he was shocked to see me. Compared to me, he seemed to recognize me instantly.

He made way towards me with a smile on his face.

"Tanya, is it?", he asked when he came near me.

"I couldn't recognize you for some time there.", I said while nodding at his question.

"Well, thanks to you, I myself couldn't recognize my face for a week. How long has it been, three weeks?", he asked.

"One month."

"Oh, that long. So how have you been? Am I your last victim or has the list increased?", he joked.

He seemed to be a good guy, but he just didn't accepting the fact that my-once-upon-a-time friend was not interested in him. Yeah, I did call him a prick but that was a onetime thing, similar to the way I called Liam other things.

"By the way, what is your name?", I asked upon realizing that I had no idea as to what his name was.

"Adrian Scott, nice to meet you.", he said stretching his hand which I shook.

"Tanya Walter, pleasure is all mine."

By the time, we talked and came to know each other a girl around our age came and stood next to him.

Compared to the other times, this girl seemed to be insecure rather than jealous. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. I'm not any supermodel with great body and looks. Instead I was just above average with an athletic body.

"Hello, I am Tanya, an acquaintance of his.", I said holding out my arm towards her.

"Camelia, Camelia Wilson.", she said shaking hands with a small smile on her face.

"Cam, remember the time when I said I got hit by a girl? This is her. Tanya, this is my girlfriend, Camelia.", he said introducing us.

"Thanks to you, he is my boyfriend now.", she said smiling.

"Don't worry. Just tell me if he hurts you, I will take care of him for you.", I said squinting at him.

We laughed at that before I bid them goodbye and continued with my search hunt.

I finally found a neon and black pair of Nike sneakers and paid for it before heading back home.

The rest of the weekend went by with me binge watching series except for the time when I had to collect my phone and do daily routines.

Monday morning, dad dropped me off in a better mood.

I made my way to the first class of the day which I had with Sam.

There were comparatively less number of guys when I came inside the class. A few of them, one being Noel, waved at me in greetings. I waved back with a small smile and a good morning.

Few minutes before the bell, the seat next to me was graced with the presence of its owner. As usual, we didn't talk even after the bell rang and rather focused on the class. At least that was what I did.

Bell rang indicating the end of the period. The teacher left while I gathered my things before standing up from my seat.

"Tanya, Tanya.", a voice called from my right. Definitely not the voice I expected.

I looked up to see Noel coming and standing next to my seat.

"Yes?"

"Will you join in our team for the football match?", he asked.

I looked through my peripheral at Sam who was waiting for my answer. I thought about it for a moment before answering.

"Sure.", I said shrugging.

"Cool then, we have practice after classes in the indoor field. Make sure that you attend it.", he said before walking out of the class along with his friends.

I could hear Sam breathe out a big sigh before I walked out of the class.

Next period went by with the teacher trying his best to keep us quiet at the same time teach us the concepts.

After the bell rang, I made my way to the locker to exchange books. When I shut the locker door, two shadows hovered over me.

I moved past them and started making my way to the class.

"Tan, how long are you going to ignore us?"

"I don't know, you tell me.", I said shrugging.

"We are sorry okay? We shouldn't have done it. Can you please forgive us?", it was Seb who spoke.

"I guess.", I said shrugging again.

"That's it? Cool. We will meet you at lunch.", he said before rushing towards his class on the other side of the building pulling Sam along with him.

I had English literature this hour. A class I shared with Liam.

I entered the classroom with the teacher closely following behind.

After some time into the class, I felt a presence close to me.

I looked up to see it was Liam, who had scooted over in his chair and was leaning on my desk with his arms brushing mine.

"Tanya", he whispered and continued after I hummed in response, "The coach wants to meet us. He asked for us to come, a little before the bell rang for his class today."

I nodded my head just before another voice interrupted the conversation.

"Mr Sanders, if you are done with whatever you are telling Ms Walter, I guess she would like some space to breathe while I would like some silence in the class.", the teacher said making Liam retract instantly with red ears while the others snickered.

"Thank you. Now get back to class everyone."

The rest of the period Liam did not look my way though the redness of his ears had reduced and gone eventually.

Another period passed and before I know, it is lunch. I kept my books inside the locker before making my way to the cafeteria.

I look over to our table to see food waiting for me. It's been a week since I had this.

I bought a bottle of water before making my way to the table. As usual, before opening my lunch, I ate some from Seb's till he slapped my hand scolding me.

"Ready to go?", Liam asked when I was almost done with my lunch.

"Mm, you go ahead, I will join you in a moment.", I said before munching on my food again.

"Okay", he said before walking away.

"Where are you going?", Sam asked while wiping his mouth with a tissue.

"It must be the assignment.", Seb cut in before I could tell anything.

"What assignment?"

"The one I gave her during the camp.", he replied with a smirk on his face.

"Oh", Sam nodded as if he was dawned with immense knowledge.

"Nothing like that, just going to meet the coach.", I said throwing away the wrapper and the used tissue.

"Excuses", I heard Seb shouting when I met up with Liam.

"I asked for you both to tell you something. I am sure both of you are aware about the sports day coming up, right?", the coach asked when we met him in the cabin.

We nodded at that before he continued.

"I am nominating you both as the sports captains for the year and you will have a lot of work to do. Tanya Walter and Liam Sanders, welcome aboard."