Sit, Stay, and Speak

It was a bright and early day in the Kaiba Mansion and Joey stretched and tumbled out of his bed with a yawn, planning to make himself and the other two a nice breakfast. Like he usually did.

But as he lazily stumbled down the stairs, a hand idly scratching under his T-shirt, he heard a distant voice boom from the dining room. Shouts and orders could be heard but too far away to make out exactly what they were saying. Joey blinked to get the grog out of his eyes, straightened his back, and walked over to the large door.

Once there, he hid by the hinges and peeked over into the open room a bit comically. He spotted Kaiba standing, tall as ever, holding a phone to his ear. And his face could kill children. His whole tone could.

Although, Joey was more surprised to even see him up so early. Ever since the blonde's arrival and Kaiba's more frequent stays at the mansion instead of KaibaCorp, Mokuba had made sure that Kaiba's alarm clock was set to ring much later than usual. Of course, Mokuba being a Kaiba as well meant that he was able to fiddle and hijack the clock so Kaiba was unable to change it back. Kaiba, obviously, has been unable to buy a new one and has ultimately not cared, so he just accepted his fate and slept more. He would never admit that it felt nice to sleep in a few more hours.

But still, to see him up and dressed so early was an anomaly, to say the least.

Kaiba suddenly slammed his fist against the table, making a few ornaments and plates jump and clatter. The slam echoed and it felt like it vibrated the floor. Joey gulped as the taller one began to shout some more.

"Get me a warranty for the address I sent you, and make it quick." Kaiba leaned over one of the chairs, dragging his fist away to show the dent he left on the table. Joey always forgot that Kaiba was a genuinely strong person, aside from his main interest in dueling. No other duelist was as strong as he was, aside from a few like Bandit Keith or Rafael. Joey envied his strength. And feared it.

But back to the topic, a warranty? What would he need a warranty for of all things? Joey frowned in thought but shook it off.

"I'm giving you idiot one last chance to keep your jobs and this better go smoothly! Do I make myself clear, gentleman?" Kaiba yelled into the phone. Joey jumped in his own skin at the authority in his voice. His mouth felt oddly dry too.

He heard a very muffled reply, presumably a "Yes, sir" or "Yes, Mr. Kaiba" of some kind, and Kaiba huffed, ending the call quickly. Joey watched Kaiba look down at his phone, type a swift message out and shut the phone off.

Kaiba paced around a bit, placing a hand to his face and thinking. He let out a tired sigh and put a hand to his hip. He had his white coat on, so it hovered over him and showed his tall legs and waist up to his torso.

"This sexy ass motherfucker..." Joey muttered in pure, pent-up frustration.

Joey peeled himself off of the wall before he got himself caught or something, his hands clammy and sweaty, and walked into the dining room. Kaiba turned around at the sound of footsteps and spotted Joey walking in.

"Morning, Joey." Kaiba simply said, his voice turning a complete 180° from before. Joey was surprised by how much he was able to mask his previous anger. It felt softer. And addition to his first name, Joey felt his chest restrict behind tight strings at his heart.

He didn't let it fluster him though and smiled back. "Mornin'!"

Kaiba seemed to ease at the sight of Joey smiling. Another tug.

Joey remembered why he came down here in the first place and looked up at Kaiba, who stood in the way between him and the kitchen doors just a few feet away. "I'll get ta makin' breakfast soon, so you can jus' chill here till I'm finished." Joey hummed and took a step forward but Kaiba didn't budge an inch.