Breaking the Bro Code

A/N: What even is the point of authors notes, most people probably don't even read them.

“Betty? Can I talk to you for a minute?”

Jughead’s ears perked up from reading his book, as Betty said,

“Sure, Arch, what’s up?”

“Alone?”

Jughead looked up and gave the redhead a look that went unnoticed.

“I guess so,” Betty replied, “Jug, we’ll be right back.” The two walked out of the student lounge, leaving Jughead by himself on the couch. 

He should stay here and read. He should respect their privacy. He should do the right thing and leave them alone. But what he actually did was put his book down and follow them into the hallway. He saw Archie pull her into an empty room and shut the door. Jughead walked up to the door and hid behind a wall. This way, he could hear what they were saying but he couldn’t see them and they couldn’t see him.

“What’s with all the secrecy, Archie? What could possibly be so secret Jughead can’t know about it?”

“I don’t like seeing you with him,” Archie said bluntly.

Jughead was taken aback. What? What was Archie’s problem with him?

“Well, I’m sorry you feel that way, but I’m still going to be with him. Why? Do you think he’s not good enough for me or something? Because if that’s what it is-”

“It’s not. Or, I guess it kind of is, in a way.”

“Archie, I have no idea what you’re talking about right now, but what you’re doing isn’t right. Jug’s your best friend.”

“Betty, if there’s anything these past few months have illuminated, is that I was wrong to turn you down before.”

Jughead’s breath hitched in his throat and his blood turned to ice.

“Don’t talk nonsense, what about Veronica?”

“I thought I liked Veronica, but I think I just threw myself into that relationship to get over seeing you with Jughead, but I understand now. She isn’t you, and I want you.”

Jughead clenched his fists. This was the moment he knew was coming all along. When Betty would leave him as soon as Archie wanted her. He was about to storm away, back to the student lounge, to pretend he hadn’t heard any of this and await the bad news.

“But you can’t have me. You had your chance, and I’m glad you reacted the way you did because I’m with Jughead now.”

“But-”

“No ‘buts’ Archie, I’m not breaking up with him. I know you don’t want to hear this right now, and I haven’t told him, but I think I love him.”

Jughead’s heart stopped. She wasn’t leaving him. She loved him. She wasn’t going to be with Archie. She was staying. He shouldn’t be listening. He should go back now before it was too late. But he had to stay and hear the rest. He just had to. 

“You say that now, but are you going to tell him about our conversation? No, you won’t, because deep down-”

“I am going to tell him, Arch. I don’t want to ruin your friendship with him or your relationship with V, but they deserve to know. I am going to tell Jughead because I want him to be able to trust me, and you guys need to work this out. You should tell Veronica, she doesn’t deserve to be led on, she deserves better.”

“We both know you’re just dating Jughead to make me jealous.”

“Do we both know that? Because it seems to me like you’re just making shit up to make yourself feel better. I don’t know why you’re doing this now, but I hope you snap out of it because I don’t like what I’m seeing. I’m leaving.”