Threats and Struggles

A/N: How Jughead should have found out about the Black Hood trying to singlehandedly destroy Bughead.

***SELF-HARM WARNING***

Archie and Betty had reached Pop’s Chock-lit Shoppe and as they walked towards the front door, they saw a certain black-haired boy laughing with a pink-haired Serpent. Archie put his hand on Betty’s shoulder.

    “Betty...”

    Betty knew she didn’t really have a right to be upset, but she couldn’t explain how hurt she was when she saw how quickly he had moved on. Had she really meant so little to him? She didn’t want Archie to see how upset she was.

    “I’m fine, Archie,” she started, but he knew she wasn’t because her eyes had started swimming with tears.

    “Betty, you have to tell him.”

“I can’t Arch!” she yelled, crying openly now, “I love him too much to put his life in danger.”

“But this is killing you, Betty, I know it is!”

“So what?” She yelled back, “I’d rather it kill me than him.”

“If you don’t tell him, I don’t know if your relationship can survive this.”

“If it can’t,” she said shakily, “maybe it was never strong enough to survive in the first place.”

“Don’t say that Betts, I know you guys love each other.”

“If that was really true, Archie, would he be laughing in a booth with her, after they’ve clearly spent the night together, only two days after we broke up?”

Archie said nothing.

“Exactly.” Betty ran back in the direction they had come, unable to watch any longer.

“Betty, wait!” Archie yelled.

This yell brought the attention of the two people sitting in the booth nearest to the window, Toni and Jughead.

Jughead saw Betty’s blonde ponytail, just as it whisked out of sight. So did Toni. Before he had time to process this, Archie stormed into Pops.

“Jug, are you serious? You couldn’t even wait, like, a week? For common decency? What’s wrong with you?”

“No, what’s wrong with you? How can you come to judge me when she sent you to break up with me out of the blue, like 12 hours after she told me she loved me?!”

“You have no idea Jug, no idea what she’s going through right now.”

“Then explain it to me, Archie, because I really don’t see how I’m at fault here. I get that she was upset that I’m a Serpent now, she has every right to be, but we could have talked about it, and she could have, at the very least, broken up with me herself.”

“You have no clue how badly I want to tell you the truth of why she sent me to break up with you, but I can’t. She would kill me.”

“So instead, you come and judge me and I don’t think you have any right.”

“Right, sure, so why don’t you go and date Toni, and once Betty is finally allowed to tell you what happened, it’ll be too late, and you’ll have lost her forever.”

“Maybe I will, so why don’t you just fucking explain or get out of here and leave me alone.”

It was pretty much deserted at Pops, so they didn’t really care how loud their voices were being.