CHAPTER 14: SECRET PLACE

Start from the beginning

Nate is used to this sight. He's taken this path so many times that he almost doesn't pay attention to the void below and the many wobbly rocks, which can slip at any moment. Besides, he hasn't even noticed a tree or the bird chirps on their way up here, as he's been too lost in an impossible internal dilemma and in every detail of her presence close behind him.

But he becomes hyper-aware of the height as it's reflecting in the deep creases between her eyebrows, and the instability settling in with the movement of her throat as she swallows dryly. Now, he really regrets his decision to take her here as fear is clouding the light golden-green shades of her eyes, though they aren't fixed on him, but on the void below. 

The last thing he wants to do is to scare her; he just wants to make her feel better.

"I promise this is worth it," he says softly as if talking to a scared little animal, though he's the one afraid that she'll run away when he holds out his hand for her. "You can trust me."

And she does it; she takes his hand. She doesn't even know why, yet the softness shining in his eyes tells her he only wants her good. Maybe she has given him her trust long ago anyways.

As her slender fingers intertwine with his, he finds back all the tickling sensations of her small hand fitting perfectly in his, yet he tries to focus, wanting to ease her worries.

"You go first and I follow close behind to catch you, just in case."

"Like you always do!" She smiles, and he's astonished by the easiness and simplicity of this gesture illuminating her features.

How can she trust him when nothing in the situation and in every encounter they've had before seems to be inspiring trust?

It's another mystery about her. But this fills up his chest with some pride. She always makes him feel like a hero, and he wants to strive to be one as he keeps her hand tightly in his.

They start to follow the winding track, and oddly, there isn't a hint of dread remaining in her body, not even a shiver, just warmth engulfing her from his large hand to the sound of his soothing voice. These are the only two things she is focusing on as he indicates her where to step, and she doesn't look down.

She is getting lost in so many questions, yet along the way, what has started as doubts about the morality of this getaway is now only revolving around Nathaniel, like why is he doing this? And how many times has he followed this path to know it this well?

However, when it is the way under her feet that becomes even narrower, running directly along the void this time, she stops dead in her tracks of thoughts and steps.

Nathaniel immediately wraps a protective arm in front of her waist, keeping her in a tight, safe hold, and she can feel the fright melting like ice in a steam room in every part of her body touching his, while his smooth voice comes out in a whisper above her left ear to warm the other parts.

"You see the rock here?" He points with his other hand and waits for her reply, his penetrating gaze searching over her features.

She can only nod, her head dizzy with the height yet also with the high rising inside feeling him so close.

"You just have to take one step and catch hold of this rock to climb, and then we're there."

"Are you sure about this?" she asks, her hoarse voice so quiet that she doesn't know if he can hear her.

"Yes, trust me. I will be right behind, holding you."

"Okay..."

With anyone else, she probably would have argued, but it is like he is hypnotizing her, charming her with his soothing voice in her ears. He could be a snake charmer with how good he is because she complies and in a few seconds they are at the top.