Tears fell quickly as I sniffled. "Mother says, it comes back to you anyhow. I ruined our lives too, Axel. Misty will forever curse me. Forever. I have disappointed everyone. Your parents, even they don't like me. . ." I wept softly.

His eyebrows straightened. "No. They don't. They couldn't even imagine me mating to an Alpha's daughter, Natalie. They are on cloud nine. Just that, they know that we skipped our rituals. But it doesn't make any bad impression, babe. They adore you," he cooed in my ear, making me stare at my bare thighs in the lamp's light.

". . . And Misty. Yes, she might be angry. But not on you. She would be angry on Pete who made her a part of this deal. On Nirvan who threw her like a rag doll without any mercy. She will hate on her fate more than any other thing or being, love. It's the destiny that she has to be there for the good. . ." He kept whispering.

Pushing the strand behind my ear, he added, "You tried to save her. Thomas did. But no one can stop it from happening. No one could. I was bound by my duty. So was Pete. So was Nirvan. Wolves tried to save her, Natalie. But it had to happen."

I gulped hard, breathing in the fragrance of his aftershave. Vision blurred again with tears. "If I had told you about us being mates that full moon night, things would have been different. We would have exchanged the rituals. We wouldn't have been sitting here like this, calming down my demons. If I had told father about the Lycan I saw that night, he would have gotten the idea of Misty being the target. She could have been saved," I squeaked out.

He hummed slightly. "But sooner or later, the news could have gotten to the other packs. Then, even your father couldn't have saved her just like how it actually happened. Pete would still have been helpless."

"Who would dare to spread that news?" I scoffed lightly.

He nodded. "Beta Iago? He pushed his sister across the border as a Beta, not a brother. The brother in him would have have definitely leaked the news. Even if he is loyal, someone else from our pack would have done it."

"Pack comes first," I said, looking at him. "No one would betray my father like that."

"Fine," agreed Axel while nodding in thought. "But Pete would have felt guilty even then. He is self-esteemed and honest. Even if you have told this secret to your family in between during the days of preparation for the Ceremony, they still would have failed to save her. Remember, how Pete was dying to cross that border? He nearly killed your brother-in-law. Something like that would have happened to Misty too."

I hummed in thought, imagining it all. "I only saw his red eyes that night. He was there to charm her only, not me or any other she-wolf. Thankfully, her whole focus was on saving me," I said, whimpering as my throat shook again. "She has been so kind to me, Axel. She had agreed to take me to the city. She forgave me too without any thought, any grudge."

Axel cupped my cheeks, making me look at him. My nostrils flared along the soft sniffles. "Like I said. She would have anyway ended up there only. Her mate must be someone lucky. Goddess truly hears him if this impossible case happened this easy in tricky ways. Took two months for a human to get there to him. The fates played with her on his requests to the Goddess."

"Brother Pete has been so passionate," I said quietly. "Enough to hurt Leo. Enough to send Misty to those Lycans so they won't kill his mate. Goddess doesn't listen to his requests?"

"The Goddess didn't choose border, Natalie. Alpha Rucus did. Requests should be made to him. I wonder if Pete thought of this," he joked, chuckling lightly while wiping my cheeks.

I breathed softly while turning on my side to face him fully. He removed his arm from my back and put under his head on the pillow, staring at me with a dreamy smile on his face.