Chapter 18

Dudley and I sat side by side in the Principal's office. We didn't look at each other, but I could tell that we were both thinking the same thing: we're absolutely positively screwed.

Mr. Xavier walked into the office and sat down. I could hardly believe that just the other day I was told that I wouldn't see him unless I was in big trouble. Well, look at me now.

Mr. Xavier sighed,

"Mr. Dursley, Mr. Jackson, do either of you want to explain how exactly this happened?"

Now, for the first time since we'd entered the office, Dudley and I looked at each other, then we spoke at the same time.

"I swear I don't know why the water fountain exploded."

"It wasn't my fault."

Apparently, I sounded more suspicious because Mr. Xavier turned to me.

"Mr. Jackson, am I correct in saying that you are new here?"

I nodded.

"And you have been at how many different schools?"

"This was my sixth school in six years, sir."

I watched as his eyebrows flew up in shock. Next to me, Dudley snickered.

"So, Mr. Jackson, you understand why I'm blaming you for the damage, right?"

I sighed,

"Yes sir, but I promise, it wasn't me. It's not like I can break pipes with my mind!"

Now it was Mr. Xavier's turn to sigh.

"I understand that, Mr. Jackson. Mr. Dursley, do you have anything to say before I call your parents?"

Dudley stopped laughing and shook his head. Mr. Xavier turned to me,

"And you?"

I couldn't help myself, I laughed.

"Sir, my parents are dead."

Both Dudley and Mr. Xavier looked at me in shock. The principal recovered first,

"Right, uh, how about your legal guardian?"

I nodded,

"Yeah, can you please tell her not to be mad and that I'll make dinner for the next week as long as she doesn't ground me?"

Mr. Xavier smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Or course Mr. Jackson. You two are excused for now."

Dudley and I stood up in sync and darted out of the office. The moment the door closed behind us, Dudley turned to me and said,

"You're an orphan?"

I nodded. He considered this for a moment, but didn't say anything else. I watched as he walked away. The bell rang signaling the end of the school day. Huh, we must have been in the office longer than I had thought. I grabbed my bag and hurried out of the school building.

I remembered that Mr. Xavier was going to call Madame Wool, and decided I would walk slowly. I didn't want her to still be mad when I got home.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

The moment I strapped into the orphanage, I saw Madame Wool waiting for me.

"Percy Jackson! I cannot believe that you didn't even last a whole week before getting in trouble! If you had been expelled—"

She yelled for about 15 more minutes, while I just stood there sheepishly. When she was done, she hugged me,

"Oh Percy, I just want the best for you. You'll do great things, but you need to stay in school."

I nodded, and she seemed satisfied.

"Now, go change out of that horrid uniform. We're going to do a puzzle tonight."

I nodded again and ran upstairs. Alexander and Henry were already home from school. Alexander was laying on his bunk reading, while Henry was on the floor doing homework. They looked up when I entered.

"I heard you got in trouble again," Henry teased, "What happened?"

I groaned and flopped onto my bed,

"Water fountain broke, and the principal thinks I did it."

Alexander scoffed,

"Well, did you?"

"Of course not!"

The twins laughed at my indignation. I just rolled over and buried my face in my pillow. Then, I remembered that I had come upstairs to change. Smirking to myself, I sat up and pulled off my shirt. Alexander and Henry froze. It's not like they hadn't seen me naked before, but it never ceased to be slightly awkward.

"What are you two looking at? I need to get outta this gross uniform!"

Henry snorted, and Alexander just rolled his eyes and went back to his book. I finished changing, and layed back down, staring at the ceiling. I thought about everything that had happened today. I couldn't believe that the wrestling match between me and Dudley had been this morning. It felt like it had been months ago. I thought about how Dudley suggested I join the wrestling team, and the information sheet I had gotten from Mr. Vilgar. Maybe, when Madame Will wasn't mad at me, I would ask her if I could try out. I was pretty sure I would make the team, even if I didn't have the build for wrestling. Or any muscles. Mr. Vilgar was right though, I had speed on my side.

And then I started thinking about Piers. Yesterday he had told me to annoy Dudley, and I happily obliged, but I didn't know whether or not Piers would still be on my side now that I had embarrassed Dudley, and gotten him in trouble. During the fight in the cafeteria, Piers hadn't seemed to be entertained.

And now I was thinking about the brawl at lunch, and subsequently, the water fountain exploding. I remembered feeling a tug in my stomach seconds before it happened. Maybe it HAD been my fault. I didn't really see how I could have broken a pipe, because I was just standing there, but then again, it wasn't the first time something unexplainable had happened to me. I mean, for starters, I regularly had conversations with fish!

I decided to take a nap. My head hurt from analyzing the entire day. I rolled over so I was facing the wall, and closed my eyes. Just as I was drifting off, I felt a gentle breeze, and could have sworn that I smelled the ocean. I smiled, and drifted off into unconsciousness.

Two updates in two days? More likely then you think! Word count 1006. Satisfied but not overjoyed. Please comment! I need the motivation lol.