twenty three | old friend |

"And pack up" Karan Johar announced on the speaker and that was the end of shooting for the film Ittefaq with Siddharth Malhotra and Sonakshi Sinha. It means now Siddharth and Pari were both free for some time until either of them started working on a new project. Karan came back again a little later to announce that celebratory dinner for the completion of the shooting of the film was to be held at his place and all the cast and the senior crew members were invited. Pari finished her my last bits of work on the set while Siddharth waited like he did on most of the day, and when she was done, they headed back home to get ready for the dinner.

Pari hurriedly freshened up and then got dressed in a black pencil skirt and a neon yellow netted top. She paired them up with some white heels, letting her hair fall messily on her shoulders. Siddharth had already offered her a ride to Karan's place so having gotten ready she waited for Siddharth outside his door, checking her Instagram, that was flooding with likes and comments on her recent pictures with the cast of the movie. Siddharth soon appeared on his door and they headed towards his car. He helped her to her seat, then setting out for their destination. They were talking about random things, about missing working together and how the film had turned out to be, his eyes on the road focusing when they were suddenly stuck at a traffic light and that is when Pari suddenly saw her.

I saw Maddy, my best friends, well my ex best friend. She was standing in one of the road side stalls buying cigarettes dressed in a skinny jean and a pretty little pink floral top. I rubbed my eyes, trying to adjust them to the scene in front of me thinking that I might not be seeing clear and that it could be somebody else, but it was her, the attitude, the posture, the way she carried herself everything was her and she was here in Mumbai. Maddy was my only friend back in Calcutta, I had plenty of acquaintances but she was my actual true friend, she was totally different from what I was but we had hit it immediately back in school. We had been friends 10 years before all that happened which changed my life entirely. Maddy had always stood up for me, been there for me through thick and thin. And then it hit me suddenly, that how much I had actually missed her.

The traffic light turned green and Siddharth unknowing to what was going on Pari's life, rolled his car but he hadn't failed to notice that Pari had suddenly gotten quite, her body stiffening, but Siddharth knew better, he knew it wasn't the time to interfere and let her be in her thoughts, so not wanting to invade her privacy Siddharth didn't try to talk to her any further. They were soon at Karan's door, having parked and exited their car when Siddharth decided to finally speak up. "Hey, you alright?" Siddharth asked pulling Pari closer by her waist, breaking her away from her thoughts, only for her to look up at him and smile faintly.

"Yeah, just a little tired." Pari lied biting the inside of her cheek.

Siddharth freed his hand from around Pari's waist bringing them to her near her left hand that rested on her side, taking them in his and squeezing them reassuringly as if trying to say that he was there for her and both of them knew that it was true, making Pari's heart skip a beat. Pari felt like she wanted to grab him, hold him tight and cry herself out in his chest, telling him everything about her past life while being engulfed in his warm heart, but she couldn't, she would be embarrassed and ashamed, probably unable to face him for the rest of her life and she couldn't risk doing that at all.

Siddharth held Pari's hand and let her inside, where they were greeted by Karan, who complimented them on their dresses and then excused himself to greet the others. Pari excused herself mingling with some of her colleagues while Siddharth did the same. After a few minutes of chatting and socialising Pari excused herself, walking over to the empty table and then seating herself in one of the chairs. She was lost in her own thoughts, trying to think straight, of the million possibilities why Maddy could be there but none of them seemed right. She broke out of her trance when she saw a hand flash by her eyes, she looked up only to see Siddharth joining her at the table and placing a plate full of food before her. "Here, eat this, you will feel better." Siddharth said pulling his chair a little closer to Pari's