Chapter 23: The Hunter and The Prey

Dedicated Chapter Song: Bury a Friend - Billie Eilish

What do you want from me?
(Levi)
Why don't you run from me?
What are you wondering?
(Anna)
What do you know?
(Levi)
Why aren't you scared of me?
(Anna)
Why do you care for me?
(Levi)
When we all fall asleep, where do we go?

What do you want from me? (Levi)Why don't you run from me?What are you wondering? (Anna)What do you know?(Levi)Why aren't you scared of me? (Anna)Why do you care for me?(Levi)When we all fall asleep, where do we go?

The wind whistled throughout the wet stone walls that Anna had found herself lying in. "Nnngh," she groaned as she sat up and stretched, rubbing her eyes as she tried to blink through the darkness. The previous night was a blur and felt as though it were so far away. She gathered that she had to have been so drunk or drugged that she hardly remembered a thing.

"Awake, finally?" A chillingly calm voice calls out to her. She smiles and turns her head around to face her enemy. "A shame you didn't take this opportunity to escape."

"I can't see shit," Levi grumbles. "And I don't know these tunnels the way you do."

"What makes you think that I'm going to help you?" Anna pushed herself off her rear and brushed off the dirt from her leather outfit.

"Because," Levi directs behind her to the wall of rumble and stone that blocked off their way of getting up or out. "There's no way back." Anna's eyes flashed as she assessed her situation. Her slim fingers ran along the stone, feeling the grainy wet texture beneath her fingertips. "The Military Police..." she whispered. "But who tipped them off? One of our own?" She glances up, then turns back around to him. "Someone betrayed me."

"Yeah?" Levi scoffer, pushing himself off the stony wall. "Guessing you don't get that too often."

"You don't understand," Anna snickered, her expression turning cold and cruel. "No one betrays me and lives to tell the tale. I need to find out who did this."

"Can that wait until after we're out of this fuck hole?" Levi sighed heavily. "I'd like to make it home by dinner."

"...home? Since when have you ever had a place to call home?" Anna speaks ever so nonchalantly as she sashays down the dark tunnel way. "Don't tell me you've finally gone all soft and mushy and found some woman to lie around with."

"Would it make you jealous if I did?" Levi mutters behind her.

"No." Anna deadpans. "Frankly, I don't give a damn what you do with your life anymore. I was sent to kill you and that's what I'm going to do."

"Then why am I still alive?" he questions aloud.

"Because..." Anna pauses and looks over her shoulder. "I'd rather prefer the company until I'm outside." Regaining herself, Anna continued on in silence.