Chapter XX ✠ The Dividing

Start from the beginning

"So why me, instead of Aaron?" Yvar gulped and ripped the bandage off quickly.

Una felt frozen by such a question.

"Well, it is quite simple." Una hesitated.

Yvar had backed Una into a corner on this matter. They both watched as Frey started building up the fire into a roar.

"Bring it over here before it gets too big!" Yvar shouted over.

"You mean with my hands!?" Frey sounded frightened.

"Yes, just half of that fire use other sticks to carry the coals. We can build it up from here." Yvar continued.

Una was desperately trying to think. She knew the real reason why she brought Yvar along. He was her right hand after all, so why was he not on the throne back in Snowden and Aaron was?

"That's it!" Yvar said as he uses two flat pieces of bark to carry the coals in.

"Well, to put it bluntly..." Una started, her jaw clenching, and her mind raced.

Yvar looked over and stared into her eyes, intently awaiting her response.

"The systems we have in place in the kingdom allows itself to govern without anyone realizing it. Whether Aaron is a good king or not depends solely on his personality, not diplomacy. He has...a remarkable knack at charming people, almost manipulative in a way." Una began.

Una then realized that she unintentionally insulted Yvar, which was far from what she meant to do. When he looked around with his eyes, she could tell, thinking as they widened with his own realization.

"So, you believe I couldn't charm my way into the hearts of our people, is that it?" Yvar laughed to himself.

"No, that is not what I meant...actually far from it," Una said quietly, pursing her lips.

Frey came trotting over with the hot coals and set them a few feet away from the horse.

"Now those extra branches would be good on this," Una suggested.

"To be so concerned about me lacking flesh, you sure are putting me to work!" Frey laughed, turning around and walking over to the pile he dropped earlier.

"I meant to say, and please don't take this to heart, but you're a Dane."

"And?" Yvar pursed his lips.

"Well, since my father broke off our alliance with the Northumbrian Danes, we are quite bitter towards them now."

Yvar couldn't believe what he was hearing. This was why Una didn't want him to stay and rule because he was born a Dane?

"Oh," Yvar said softly.

Yvar bit his lip and stood up, and helped Frey pile on branched over the coals. Slowly they ignited, and a large fire began near the horse.

"Yvar?" Una asked, watching him scoot the coals and branches next to the pile over the horse.

"I think we should leave now," Yvar said quietly.

"Sure," Frey said and patted him on the shoulder as he walked away and called for Gwen.

Una stood there, her cheeks burning. She had dug herself a massive hold. Not only did she insult Yvar as a person, but as a culture as well. She hated that he was still considered a Dane, even though he lived most of his life as a Welshman of Snowdon. Everyone kept tabs on who was who. If they knew Una had chosen Yvar to be her right hand, surely the kingdom would go up in an uprising.

"Take Roosa," Una said.

Yvar would not look at her. He just stared as the flames slowly ignited the outside branches, encasing Balder.