Chapter XX ✠ The Dividing

Start from the beginning

"Could you start a fire for us, please?" Una asked, testing him.

Frey slumped over, exaggeratedly as if he was broken. Una knew he was injured, but even a bedridden monk could start a fire with one hand if he had the right dexterity.

"He's trying, Yvar. I know you don't like him, and I didn't know at first, but he'll grow on you. I'm never wrong about first impressions." Una said, looking over at him.

"Oh, and what did you think of him," Yvar said, looking back down at Balder.

"He means well. He has his quirks, but overall, I sense that he is a decent man, underneath his...shall we say his coddled ego." Una laughed.

"What did you think of me?" Yvar joked, looking into Una's deep green eyes.

"You wouldn't be sitting here in front of me if I didn't like you. Trust me." Una laughed.

"Hmm...so not so much for Aaron then?" Yvar suggested.

Yvar remembered what Frey had told him last night. Why would Una choose him over Aaron to accompany her when Una knew that Yvar was the most capable of running a kingdom single-handedly.

"What are you implying? Do you think that he gave me bad omens?" Una laughed, feeling accomplished for distracting Yvar away from his dead companion.

"Perhaps, is that why you left him in the castle?" Yvar laughed.

"Gods know that castle needs to burn down anyway, omens or not!" Una laughed.

"Really? Why so?" Yvar said inquisitively.

"It's infested with rats, fleas, probably lice...and spiders." Una leaned in and emphasized spiders.

Yvar winced at the thought.

"I prefer my nice cottage in the woods." He boasted.

"Honestly though, the place is ancient. All the doorframes and windows are bowing, the foundation is crumbling, and it's bloody cold, always!" Una laughed.

"You're complaining about the cold floors in the summer?" Yvar laughed.

"I would just prefer if I didn't share my bed with rats to stay warm," Una said.

Una looked off in the distance at Frey, trying desperately to start some kindling.

"Though, rats seem nice compared to some things." Una laughed to herself.

Yvar caught on and laughed too.

"Oh, so you have shared your bed with Frey, I see." Yvar chuckled with his mouth ajar.

"I most certainly have not! I am saying I enjoy the company of rats than of Frey." Una corrected Yvar.

"Oh, so that's how it is." Yvar laughed.

"I won't need him anyway. The radiating heat of my castle burning down around me will suit just fine." Una said sarcastically, folding her arms.

Suddenly they heard a loud, spirited voice.

"I did it!" Frey shouted in delight as a small flame could be seen in his little pile of sticks.

"My Gods, he did..." Una said, shocked.

"Hmm, perhaps you are right about omens. Then let's just hope that Aaron burns down the castle before we get back." Yvar asserted.

"Look! Look at this beautiful light!" Frey got up and pointed down at the growing fire.

Frey was so proud that he could still start a fire. He had flint and steel he brought along with him on his journey. He didn't have the fire for a few weeks when he first left home. He had his men try to do it, but the weather would not permit. After many months, and after losing his men, Frey had to do this by himself to cook and for warmth between stops in villages.