Burn Bright

*Gerard's POV*

I literally wrote a song about how I didn't want a relationship. Granted, it's not entirely about her, but still the inspiration came from her.

Mikey is the one who wrote a fucking love song for her, and yet I'm surprised that Chris is sitting on Mikey's lap right now?

Not that I ever doubted Mikey's ability to get girls, it's just that I never imagined a scenario where Mikey and Chris got together.

I've never seen Mikey's face light up the way it does now. When he smiles, it actually reaches his eyes. He doesn't spend as much time shut up in his room playing bass (which actually is surprising because I figured he and Chris would spend all day every day in his bedroom doing each other).

Yeah, I love Chris and it's gonna take me time to get over her. But I love Mikey too, and seeing how Chris makes him happy is all a big brother needs to have peace of mind.

It's been three weeks since Chris got her memory back. We're currently sitting at Bob's house (well actually his girlfriend's parents' house). We had just had band practice and now we're winding down with a bonfire.

Slowly, more and more people keep coming to the backyard and now it's a small party.

Ray is sitting with his new girlfriend, Christa. Frank is sitting with his girlfriend, Jamia. Mikey has Chris sitting on his lap. Bob is sitting with his girlfriend, Shauna.

And I'm sitting here with my beer. Single. Alone.

Whatever.

*Christina's POV*

I had really pulled my shit together in the last couple weeks.

Firstly, Frank finally got to go get his belongings out of his car. It got towed to a junkyard and was being held as evidence, since Frank's insurance company was filing a pretty hefty claim against the driver of the first car that hit us. I guess he was under the influence of some narcotics so there's a bit of legal trouble involved. Obviously Frank and his insurance came out on top. Additionally, I had filed a claim with the other guy's insurance company and they paid my medical bills and paid me a decent amount of money as a settlement. I got my anatomy book, wallet, and cell phone back from Frank's car.

In celebration of both me and Frank coming into a bit of money, we got tattoos. At first we toyed with the idea of getting matching cartoon cars tattooed as a joke, but eventually we decided to just get tattoos that we actually wanted. Frank got a scorpion on his neck, and I got a lily on the inside of my bicep.

The boys lined up some gigs at some underground clubs and bars across the country, so they're going on a van tour that will last roughly 6 months. While I'm sad that I'm gonna be away from Mikey and the rest of my friends, I'm very excited that they snagged an opportunity like this.

I got a job as a waitress at the stupid diner that's across the street from Mikey and Gerard's apartment.

"Hey, Chrissy!" Bob shouted from across the fire pit. I looked over at him and raised my eyebrows.

"I know you did not just call me Chrissy." I said back. He aligned and launched a beer can at me from across the fire. I caught it effortlessly.

"I'll give you twenty bucks if you can shotgun that beer in less than thirty seconds." He shouted at me. I laughed and shook my head. I threw the can back.

"Absolutely not. I'm driving."

"Aw, come on, Chrissy." Bob whined. I raised my eyebrows and cupped my hands over my mouth and shouted back to him.

"NO!" I said loudly but with a laugh.

Mikey shifted uncomfortably under me then, and I turned to him.

"Get up for a second." He said, and I obliged. He stood up as well, and he grabbed my hand and walked me over to right beside the fire. He reached into the pocket of his hoodie. "I have something for you."

Oh god. Oh no. Don't propose. I'll say yes but it's too soon. People will think we're crazy. Actually- I am crazy. Please propose. I'll say yes.

I stared at him while he fished in his pocket. My heart was racing and my eyes were wide. Finally, he pulled out a folded piece of paper. I sighed with relief and disappointment. He held the paper out to me and I took it and unfolded it.

"Mikey, I'm so sorry this is the way it has to be..."

I clutched the paper to my chest- hiding the words. My eyes went wide again. This is my suicide note, and I can't believe I didn't recognize it. I looked up at Mikey.

"You should burn it." He said. I just blinked at him.

"Why do you have this?" I asked him. He offered a small smile.

"I figured it would be a bit ceremonial. Besides, it's not mine to burn." He answered. I shook my head, still looking into his eyes.

"No, I mean why do you still have this?"

"I told you three weeks ago that I kept it. And besides, what was I supposed to do? Throw it out?" Mikey laughed. I laughed a little too, not because I thought it was funny, but because Mikey's smile is contagious.

"Well, yes." I told him plainly, a ghost of a smile still on my face.

"It's not mine to burn." Mikey repeated. I thought quickly. I looked down at the paper in my hand and read the last line.

"You'll always have our memories. I love you.

Goodbye Mikey.

-Christina Lily"

How ironic.

I ripped the paper in half, right down the middle. I handed half to Mikey.

"You need to burn it just as much as I do." I said as I threw my half into the fire. Mikey did the same and then put his arm around me as we watched the paper go up in flames. The paper quickly burned out and turned to ash.

Just like that- it was gone. I felt content knowing that that chapter of my life was over and I'm finally getting a new chapter, like I had always wanted. And I found the unconditional love I had always wanted.