Mikey

I woke up the next morning to the bright sun shining in my face. I started to move, but my head ached with the pain of a hangover. I was facing the wall, the futon having been unfolded into a bed at some point during the night. I realized then that there was a body in the bed behind me. I slowly rolled over, thinking of who I could be sharing the futon with.

It was Frank. He was still passed out, with half of his torso hanging over the edge. I craned my neck and saw that there was a small trash can on the floor beside Frank.

I sat up, making eye contact with Ray who had slept on the couch. He was playing video games on the TV.

"Good afternoon, sugar." He said. I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand.

"What time is it?" I asked, my voice was thick with sleep. Thankfully I didn't feel sick. I was just very thirsty and had a headache.

"It's almost 1 o'clock. You're the first one awake."

"Besides you."

"Well yeah, besides me." Ray said. I climbed off the futon and went into the kitchen to get a glass of water. There were empty beer bottles and beer cans all over the counters, and in the sink were two empty bottles of vodka.

I drank an entire glass of water and decided to take a shower. I was very annoyed with myself for not having cleaned myself up after having beer spilled on me.

I grabbed a change of clothes out of the dresser in the living room, and Ray complained the whole time because I was blocking the TV screen.

I took a quick shower, wanting to get out of the bathroom as quickly as possible. I was mildly embarrassed to be faced with the realization of my interaction with Mikey last night. While I was letting conditioner sit in my hair, I heard the bathroom door open.

"Dude, I'm showering in here." I said to whoever it was. The only response I got was the sound of the toilet bowl lifting up and someone vomiting in the toilet. I poked my head around the curtain and saw Gerard with his head in the toilet bowl. "Ew, gross"

He flipped me off. I shut the curtain loudly and rinsed the conditioner out of my hair.

"This is why you don't mix drugs and alcohol." Gerard complained, flushing the toilet. Gerard drank a lot, that was nothing new. He's almost 4 years older than me and ever since I've known him, he's bought alcohol for me. I'm no stranger to drinking with Gerard. But pills? Cocaine? That's new. When he apologized to me in the restaurant, he said that drugs were a problem for him while he was away at school, but I don't ever remember him popping pills in front of me.

"Or just why you shouldn't do drugs in general. Listen, Gee, you better be out of the bathroom in the next 30 seconds because I'm getting out." I said to him, even though I couldn't see him. I shut the water off and grabbed my towel that was sitting on the floor. I heard Gerard brushing his teeth.

"Alright I'm leaving." He said. I heard the door click shut and I knew he was gone. I stepped out, drying myself enough to put my clean clothes on. Today I had chosen my most comfortable pair of black skinny jeans. They were torn tastefully at the knees. The T-shirt I chose was one of my Dad's old Metallica tshirts. I brushed my hair with a part down the middle, and pulled it back into two French braids.

I didn't want to stand in the bathroom anymore because I didn't want to think about the way I acted with Mikey the night before. I couldn't decide if I was ashamed or proud of myself for being so confident. Mikey didn't say that he didn't want to kiss me, he just didn't want to kiss me while we were drunk. So it wasn't rejection, he was just being a good guy. Or maybe he didn't want to kiss me...