Help Me Remember

*Mikey's POV*

We laid beside each other in my bed, on our sides and facing each other. Christina was nearly asleep, curled up under the blankets. We've shared sleeping quarters countless times before, but this time is different. It felt new. I felt closer to her than ever before, yet so far away from her since her memories of us are still locked away somewhere. She's sleeping in a T-shirt and panties, I was only wearing boxers. This is how the two of us always slept. This time, there's an unspoken tension between us that I can't describe.

Her black hair was fanned out on the pillow behind her. I couldn't stop thinking about her eyes. She's never looked at me like the way she looked at me tonight. I've always tried to make her feel safe when she's with me, and seeing the warmth in her eyes tonight is starting to make me feel safe with her. Sure, I'm in love with her, but there was always a part of me that was guarded because I knew she loved Gerard. I didn't want her to see all parts of me and ruin the friendship between us. Having her close as a friend was better than not having her at all.

But now Gerard loves her back. If she sees that, all her old feelings might come back and she could fall head over heels for him all over again. And it would be real this time.

Christina is asleep in my bed though, she asked me to lay with her. The look in her eyes. The butterflies in her stomach when I called her beautiful. Crying because she doesn't have feelings for Gerard. Holding my hand when she woke up in the hospital. She won't fall in love with him again because she knows that he hurt her.

"Mikey?" Christina spoke, making me jump. Her eyes are still closed and her voice was quiet and raspy, heavy with sleep.

"Yeah, sugar?"

"I just... thank you." She said. Is she talking in her sleep, or is she awake?

"Are you awake right now?"

"Barely." She breathed and opened her eyes briefly to look at me.

"Why are you thanking me?"

"Thank you for taking care of me." Chris said, her voice almost a whisper.

"Oh baby girl, of course." I whispered back. I leaned in and kissed her forehead, letting her know I meant it. When I shifted my weight back, Chris's arm shot out and wrapped around my back, still under the blanket, and she pulled herself closer to me. She nuzzled her head in my chest and folded her arms in front of her. I wrapped an arm around her and held her close.

I've wanted to hold her like this for years. Now I'm the one with butterflies.

"I just wish I could remember." Chris said, her voice even more distant than before. I didn't answer, and soon she fell asleep.

I held her in my arms the entire night. I slept through the night without a nightmare for the first time in god knows how long, thanks to Christina I'm sure.

I never want to let her go.

***
Gerard's POV

I woke up to the sound of furious pounding on the front door. Tiredly, I rolled out of bed and put clothes on. The clock read 8:37 AM. I groaned and went to go answer the door. I turned the corner and saw that Mikey wasn't on the couch.

I answered the front door and it was the people delivering the futon and dresser. It took them only about 30 minutes to bring the furniture up the freight elevator and get it set up in the correct spots. I decided to go back to bed, but first I wanted to peek inside Mikey's bedroom to see if Chris was awake.

I opened the door just wide enough to see the bed. To my utter surprise, Mikey was in bed with her. They were fast asleep in each other's arms.

I closed the door quietly. I didn't want them to know that I saw them. They have nothing to hide, I just didn't want them to know that I was spying on them.