Chapter 20

I close the door, and scan the small room. My dad's body was slumped in a corner and I could hear the small whimpers escaping from his body. I immediately run up to him, and squat down beside him, tears filling my eyes. He was frail and skinny and his skin had an ashy appearance to it. "Dad!" I shouted, but there was no response.

I put my hand under his chin and force him to look up at me. His face looked vacant, and his eyes had a dull look to them. "Dad" I whimper, as the tears begin to pour out of me. I wanted him to snap out of it, I wanted him to recognize me, but the person I knew wasn't there.

Once again I felt like a helpless child, unable to do something, and I knew my time was running out. At this point I knew my only hope would be to carry him out of here. I knew it was a long shot, and the likelihood of us making it out was slim, but it was a chance I was willing to take. The authorities were on their way, and they would kill us both for my treachery.

I quickly stand up, and begin calculating how I should carry him out, when I'm startled by the heavy metal door closing behind me. Immediately I turn around, and notice a black armored man standing behind me. He was wearing a helmet so I couldn't see his face, and his armor looked to be in pristine condition. On his right breast plate the number 0074 was printed in bold red writing.

A cold sweat began to develop on my brow, as I remembered those strange men back home looking for that boy. His soulless eyes and the pain he wore on his face, was something that I could never forget. The image was burned into the back of my eyes, and haunted my dreams. "Who are you?" I ask breathlessly.

Not saying anything, the boy places his hands on either side of his helmet, and slowly pulls it off to reveal the person that was underneath. I could feel my face drop in shock as I am met face to face with piercing icy blue eyes; they were like tiny oasis with crystal clear water. "Jakove!" I yell confused.

Jakove gives me that playful smile, instantly drawing me to him. I sprint towards him, and throw myself into his eager embrace. His arms wrap around me like moss clinging to a tree. "I missed you so damn much" he says as he nuzzles his face into my hair.

A series of emotions flooded through me. I missed him too, and I could feel my body melting into his tender embrace. This was the moment I had been waiting for, but I knew I had to think logically about the situation. There was so little I knew about Jakove, and although I wanted to believe he had good intentions, and could love a person like me, I knew there was a dark past he was hiding. I could feel the tears build in my eyes as I was met with hard decision whether he was someone I could truly trust and pour my love into.

Before I could comprehend what I wanted to say, I could hear the heavy metal door slam shut from behind us, making me jump. "I always knew you were a traitor Jakove". A gruff voice says.

Instantly I fly around, tearing myself from Jakove's firm grasp, to see a man standing before us. He was short, not much taller than myself, and was older, probably in his sixties. One of his eyes looked like it was constantly squinting, and his brow had deep set wrinkles in it. Interestingly enough the man wasn't attractive, like the others I had met, and his voice sounded like he was a heavy smoker.

I look up at Jakove, and I could feel the fury radiating off of him. His face was set in a stone cold stare, and his eyes were glossed over; no sign of life left in them. I knew this was the face of the Mangata surfacing, not the Jakove I had grown to love. I reach up for his hand, and give it a gentle squeeze pleading with him to come back to me. He gives me a gentle squeeze back, and runs his thumb over my hand, reassuring me he was still here, but his disposition never changes.

"Well?" the man says in his raspy voice, urging for Jakove to say something. "Doesn't the almighty Jakove have something to say for the betrayal of his people?"