XIX. Acquiring the nickname 'Sparky'.

Start from the beginning

Bellamy studied her face for a few beats before nodding. "Yeah, actually I wanted to talk to you."

"Me? What did I do?"

"Earlier, back in the woods, you said you were threatened by someone which is the reason you can't say anything," Bellamy explained. "Who?"

With wide eyes, Carter grabbed his arm and pulled them both further away from the entrance of the tent and towards the back. "Keep your voice down!" She hissed. "It doesn't matter who threatened me. I already told you, I've got it under control."

"No you don't." Bellamy retorted without missing a beat. "If you did, you wouldn't be scared."

"I'm not scared." She lamely defended, mildly shocked he knew that. Ever since she was a kid, she had mastered the art of hiding her emotions. Not even her father or Finn knew how to look through her mask.

"Yes. You are," He argued. "I can see it on your face, Carter. Who was it?"

"Why do you care?" Carter snapped, suddenly feeling claustrophobic by Bellamy's piercing dark gaze. "I think we've already established you're a selfish son of a bitch otherwise why else would you have chucked the freaking radio?"

He opened his mouth to reply but quickly caught on to what he was about to say and closed it. He wanted to say he did care, he had no idea why, he just did. But this is Bellamy, he couldn't just outright say he cared about a girl that wasn't his sister. Especially Carter. The fact that she was threatened hung over his head all day and he felt an insane level of protection towards her. He just wished he knew why. "Who was it?" He tried again, noticing the lengthy silence that had fallen between them.

"It doesn't matter." She shot him down,  pushing past him angrily.

"Was it Shumway?" He guessed. She stopped dead in her tracks, her back tensed and that was all he needed to know he was right. "What did he say?"

She turned around to face him again and pursed her lips as a desperate attempt to keep her expression void of emotion. "He would kill my dad if anyone finds out what he made you do." A pause. "He told me if I said anything, he would find out and... and I can't take that risk, Bellamy."

Bellamy nodded his head in acknowledgment and it didn't go unnoticed by Carter that his hands were clenched into fists by his side and how his jaw tightened. For a small second, Carter thought that maybe Bellamy did care about her, but the second she made sense of the sentence, she abolished it. Bellamy made it pretty he clear he cares for no one but himself and his sister.

"I need to contact my father, it's the only way I can warn him about Shumway." She whispered. "Please Bellamy, don't say anything to anyone."

"Hey Sparky! I need your help!" Monty hollered, breaking the tension between Carter and Bellamy. With a deep breath,  Carter recomposed herself and sent Bellamy one more meaningful glance before exiting the tent and making her way back to Monty.

"What happened to 'I'll be right back!'?" Monty asked, his voice went into a high-pitched whine as he tried to imitate Carter.

She gasped, feigning the look of hurt. "I don't sound like that!"

"Wanna bet?" Monty teased, looking back down on the control panel which was now in one piece, lights flickering different colors. "So, I fixed it."

"No, we fixed it. All you had to do was screw it back together." Carter corrected. "Hardly rocket science."

"Actually, it kind of is." Monty smirked, earning a half-hearted glare from Carter. "Now stop slacking and help me connect it to the launchers."

"Sir, yes sir." Carter saluted mockingly before she began to help Monty wire the control panel to the make-shift launchers. The sun was already beginning to set for the night, so light was limited.