Chapter Seven

Three Months have passed since Rafe died and Charlotte tried to stay away from Danny because she couldn't handle it. She did notice that he was comforting Evelyn knowing that she was fine. Danny walked Evelyn home one afternoon and Charlotte was clearly upset about this.

"Are you okay Charlotte?"

She nodded

"What's the matter?" Evelyn asked her.

"It's stupid." Charlotte replied.

"Talk to me kiddo."

"It's just...I have known Danny my whole life and I haven't seen him in 3 months for obvious reasons, and now that you two are hanging out and all it upsets me knowing that..." Charlotte immediately starting tearing up.

"You feel like you'll see your brother if you see Danny wouldn't you?"

Charlotte then broke down "Yeah and I know that you guys are together and I just... I can't...."

"Charlotte." Evelyn walked closer to her and gave her a giant hug "Do you think me and Danny are together?"

"Well aren't you?"

"Nope." Evelyn said "Are you in love with Danny?"

Charlotte nodded.

"How long?"

"Since we were kids."  Charlotte replied "I've wanted to tell him for so long but Rafe never allowed it."

"And you want to be with him don't you?"

Charlotte nodded again.

"You have to find him before he goes off to war." Evelyn said, "This war could catch up with us anytime soon, you never know what could happen."

That evening, Charlotte and Evelyn walked to the Cinema to see a new comedy that was being released. Charlotte didn't know that Danny was coming too.

"Hey Danny."

"Evelyn, Charlotte? He hesitated and almost tripped "Hi."

"Hi." Charlotte replied quiet looking down at the floor.

"I'll meet you two inside." Evelyn said as she went in the theatre with Betty and Barbara.

"It's been a while." Danny said, "I've been logging a lot of flight hours."

"I've been avoiding you too."

"Look..." Charlotte and Danny said at the same time, "No you first." They said at the same time and started laughing.

"I don't want to see this film." Danny said "Do you want to go get a bite? Catch up maybe."

Charlotte nodded and smiled.

Charlotte and Danny reached a local diner only just to catch up.

"You know I really missed talking to you Char." Danny said, "You can't avoid me for three months."

"I'm sorry." Charlotte replied, "I thought you and Evelyn were together and I.."

Danny chuckled noticing the gap in his teeth and Charlotte was looking into the crevice of his dimples.

"You thought I would do that to Rafe!" Danny laughed "Charlotte...you're always jumping to conclusions."

Charlotte laughed even though she was clearly embarrassed. Danny then looked out the window and waved outside to see Evelyn, Betty and Barbara teasing them. Barbara was doing a weird dance, Betty was making kiss noises and Evelyn was making a heart with her hands.

"I guess I should go." Charlotte said "I'll be back, but not in 3 months, I promise."

"Do you want me to walk you home?"

She shook her head "I'll be fine, goodnight Danny."

"Goodnight Kiddo." Danny said

As Charlotte left, Danny noticed that she left her hanky there. He knew exactly what to do.

Danny walked to the girls house to drop over charlottes hanky. He was rehearsing what to say.

"I was thinking maybe I could come by sometime. Get a cup of coffee or a piece of pie...." he looked at his watch "What am I doing?"

Danny knocked on the door noticing all the rooms were dark until a light switched with Charlotte in her pajamas getting the door.

"Oh I'm sorry you were asleep. Hi!"

"Danny? Are you alright?"

"Yeah...you forgot this."

Charlotte was somewhat surprised. "Um. Thanks you didn't have to drop it over now."

"I figured you might need it tomorrow morning."

"It's a hanky."

"Right. Look Charlotte! I was thinking maybe I could come by and give you a call." Charlotte shhhed him, then he whispered "I mean if I gave you a call could I come by sometime?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Great."

"Thanks Danny."

"Goodnight"

Charlotte closed the door and Danny left instantly.

"You are such an idiot." He mumbled.