(52) kairosclerosis

Start from the beginning

"You bought six dresses?" Daisy gaped at her, "I only bought four!"

"Blake, if you didn't know about the ball until now- that means Clark hasn't asked you?" Sarah bit the inside of her cheek.

Lately Clark had seemed a little... distant. Like his mind was elsewhere and he seemed more quiet and guarded. I wanted to ask him, but I never got the chance. It must be my rapidly approaching departure date.

"I-" I glanced down at my drink, swirling the straw in my cup. "No? He hasn't mentioned it, we haven't really had any discussions or anything because I'm either too busy to see him and when I do we-"

"Fuck?" MJ asked curiously, a devilish grin on her lips.

I quickly looked back down to my drink, trying to shield my furiously red face with my hair. "... Oh shut up! That's not what I meant!"

"Then what?" MJ waggled her eyebrows at me.

I sputtered, before pausing. "We watch movies! That's what we do!"

"Sure..." Daisy drawled, a smirk playing on her lips.

I just shook my head before picking my cup of iced coffee and drinking from it to avoid talking. Thankfully, Sarah brought the subject back to a more appropriate arena.

"But you're saying Clark hasn't mentioned it or even asked you? Seriously? He for sure knows about the ball, it's a huge thing that happens every year for the upperclassmen! Why hasn't he asked?" Sarah furrowed her brows in confusion.

I shrugged in response, trying not to let the thoughts affect me. Why hasn't he asked me? Does he think I don't want to go? Does he not want to go? Why hasn't he mentioned i-

"Has anyone asked you?" Lillian asked Sarah, to which her eyes widened a fraction.

"Uhm some people but I-" she blushed, "I haven't said yes."

"Player," I sang, causing Sarah to playfully hit my shoulder.

"I just- I dunno? I'm not really into any of them and I don't want to go to my first ball with someone I don't know or don't like..." she trailed off.

"I respect that." Daisy nodded.

"Oh shut up, you got asked by someone!" MJ complained loudly.

"Really?" I asked excitedly. "Who?"

I bet I know who.

"Nico." She smiled to herself.

"I knew it!" I clapped, "I called it!"

"How can you call it when you've known about this dance for less than ten minutes?" MJ rolled her eyes at me playfully.

"Intuition. So we know that Lill is going with Dom and Daisy is going with Nico, MJ who are you going with?"

"Oliver Daniels. He's my chem partner and he asked me last week." MJ said before she took another huge bite of her muffin.

"What color are you wearing? I was thinking maybe a shade of salmon or...."

After I had found out about the ball, it didn't take much time for Clark to actually ask me. Damn his psychic abilities.

He had surprised me with a stuffed koala toy and a cheesy sign that read 'I would love to spend some koal-ity time with you at the summer ball? Can you bear to go with me?'

I said yes, obviously. The stuffed bear was just too cute.

Then there was today. A few minutes before the ball was to start.