10. Gulp

"Uh..Why'd you wanna go to Russia?" I asked, befuddled.

She gracefully tucked a flick of hair across her cheek to behind her ear, and passed me a small smile.

Her eyes though looked to me in desperation, as if wanting me to take back my question.

"Consider it as redemption for leaving the other night.." she said, nodding her head along with her eyebrows.

"Still? Zara, at least, gimme a reason. Is it just for like vacation time? Family visit? Hanging out with...me...?" my eyes lowered, not willing to meet her's.

Don't blush, Thea. Don't blush.

Her right hand went to her mouth, covering it and touching her nose, seemingly to hide her smile.

Damn it.

She stepped towards me as I felt a figure towering over me. Well, she's not that much taller than me. Still.

Her eyes twinkled with innocence. And warmth.

I finally looked into them and swallowed the lump that had developed in my throat.

"Thea..?" she said softly, taking my hand in hers.

"..Zara..!?" I reciprocated, feeling the touch of her soft fingers on my mine.

"I won't lie to you. But I cannot tell you the truth either. It's just something important. I never thought I'd have the money to actually go there and...well...sort something out. But now, I have an opportunity. Your plane is gonna be half empty anyway.

So, just know that it is very important to me and you can help me in a way that I'll forever be grateful to you.

Will that be enough of a reason?" her face radiated something for me.

I thought about it for long.

THIS is what I was preparing for so long. Avenge my brother. Kill Slade Wilson. Save this city.

But..to what end?

All I wanted after all that...was her. At least a chance to be happy.

I refused that earlier because I had to be focused.

I broke my promise to Ollie because this city needed me.

Because Slade Wilson couldn't go unpunished.

But what seemed like wishful thinking two days ago, became a distinct possibility right now.

A possibility of a happy life.

And in that version, I really wanted her to be a part of my life. Even if it never materializes..that way.

While I thought all about it, her grip tightened.

"Please..!?" she was literally begging me.

"Yeah. Alright," I said, instead of refusing to take her on a mission to kill Slade Wilson.

She squealed in excitement, leaped onto me and gave me a tight hug.