You look so restless and you're so far from home //ot4

Zacznij od początku

Luke doesn't remember much after that, he's in a haze until Heather props him up against the side of the van and ties beads and feathers around his forehead. They tickle and he can't seem to find them when he goes to touch them. Mara and Katie laugh, helping him sit down on the blankets they'd thrown down a few minutes prior. He doesn't recall them parking, just the purple walls of the van moving and watching rows of corn skip past.

"Who's up?" Luke asks, playing with the hem of his bellbottoms. He can hear the faint strum of a guitar, no amp or anything and wonders if it's someone else there to watch or a band. He figures a band when drums crash a few seconds later and the heavy sound of The Grateful Dead rattles over the fields. He grins at Katie (she's a top-class Deadhead), and watches as she downs a bottle of water, eyes flashing in excitement. His own throat is dry, but he doesn't think he's actually capable of holding a bottle to his lips.

Eventually Katie and Mara wander off, leaving Heather to baby Luke. She lights up a doobie and leans on Luke's thigh, petting his bare foot. He doesn't remember when he lost his shoes, and he's positive his parents are going to kill him, but no one else has a pair on and he feels sort of good about it. They pass the blunt back and forth, Heather shows him how to properly inhale, and it takes a few tries before he gets it right.

"Do you want to come with?" Heather pulls a cigarette from the package and puts it in her mouth, tossing the pack into the back of the van. She pulls out a lighter and flicks it, setting the end of the cig on fire. She helps Luke up and the two of them start walking, passing by groups of people trying to jell.

~~~

There are always no-name bands that play at Glastonbury: someone weasels their way into the lineup and pulls in a huge crowd. Luke doesn't pay much attention to the no name band playing, but he and Heather push to the front, where Mara and Katie are standing.

"I'm trippin'." Katie grabs Luke's arm and pulls him into the group of people she's stood with. Everyone welcomes him with open arms, a few handing doobies his way. He graciously accepts a few puffs and turns the rest down, focusing on the stage. Jethro Tull is coming on after this no-name and Luke's beyond excited.

The new band sets up while Luke and Mara sit in the grass. They have to look up to see the band. Last year the organization that set up the festival decided to build a platform that looked like one of the ancient pyramids, and the acoustics of it all were totally groovy. Luke catches a swish of honey blonde curls before he's handed another spliff.

There aren't many girl groups at the festival, only the occasional musician like Janice or The Blackhearts, so Luke's a little excited by the possibility of a girl group taking the stage. And that's when the lead singer steps forward: bright blue hair and a sleeveless flannel, open and showing off his painted stomach. He's wearing what look like leather pants- and that's a feat in itself considering the unnatural heat- and he's holding a cherry red guitar.

Luke takes another hit and stands up. He wants to be closer, he needs to see every detail of this man.

The band is called Apolitical and Luke's in love. The frontman's voice is like heaven doused in brandy and sprinkled with sugar. Then Luke sees the bassist; with his dark brown skin and an assortment of chains hanging down his shirtless chest. They start off with drums, loud and heavy, creating a rhythm that Luke swears he'll remember until the end of time. Heather tries to get him to sit but he wouldn't if he could, no: he needs to see it all.

They play four songs and walk off, people are screaming and the drummer launches his sticks out into the crowds. Luke watches them leave before turning back to Katie. "I have to meet them." He looks up at the stage as Ian Anderson takes over, already swinging the microphone around in his hands. Luke screams along with the crowd, Apolitical floating to the back of his mind for a moment before Heather is gripping his arm and tugging him towards the stage. She's smoking another cigarette and has taken her shirt off.