You look so restless and you're so far from home //ot4

welcome back bitches!! lmk what ya think! :)

~~~~

Luke's seventeen year old neighbor, Katie, had slapped a flyer for Glastonbury Festival on his kitchen counter a month before his sixteenth birthday. She'd smiled, a little smugly, and told him she'd already bought plane tickets. His parents had yelled, mainly his mum, until his dad had reasoned that 'he was young and needed to live his life!' Luke was desperate to experience how other countries threw festivals and see whether English people smoked joints in rickety old vans like Americans did.

He wants to sit on a blanket in the tall grass and watch Roger Waters make love to his microphone. He wants to see Jimmy Page finger the strings of his guitar until he falls off the stage after too many hits of one of those thick blunts. One of those blunts he sees Katie and her friends smoke behind the five-and-dime. And he plans to smoke as well, get high for the first time in another country. He's seen the collection of pills Katie's packed in her suitcase and the clumpy green fuzz that he knows is marijuana. He's going to come home smelling of drugs and smoke, and his parents are going to kill him, but it's going to be worth it in the end.

Katie holds his hand during the flight because he's never been on a plane and he's somehow ended up with the window seat. There are clouds underneath the wings that look like fluffy marshmallows, and Luke knows they're not really that solid. His ears pop on the way up and his seat belt stays fastened the whole ride. He's terrified when the plane lands, bouncing as the wheels first hit the runway, and he nervously squeezes the arm rest until the seatbelt sign goes off and everyone stands up.

"That was rad, Luke!" Katie laughs, pulling her bag out of the overhead compartment, and then his. She's always so exuberant and happy; she lives like she's always high and Luke would kill to live as she does.

They exit the plane, thanking the captain before they walk down the stairs into the bright sunlight. Two girls are waiting for them, both in sunglasses and shorts. They hug Katie and make a fuss over Luke. The taller of the two introduces herself as Mara, and she latches onto Luke's side, raving about how much fun he's going to have. She's the one who drives and has an almost unlimited supply of marijuana in the center console of her van. The other girl says her name is Heather and kisses Katie on the mouth, hard.

Luke doesn't read into it, smiling and greeting the two girls. They load their bags into the back of Mara's van and Luke climbs into the back with Katie. There are carpets on the walls and suncatchers hanging from the roof, even a few posters of Keith Richards and John Bonham hang around, curling at the edges from the repeated hotboxing that goes on in the back.

"I heard Jimi would be here," Luke says as Katie and Heather argue over a cassette to listen to. They decide on Fleetwood Mac and soon Stevie Nicks' is crooning about the seven wonders. Heather is spooky, like halloween all year round and old magic. Fleetwood is supposed to be playing at Glastonbury too, on the second day, Luke thinks. He can't remember, but that's not really a problem. He's not going to remember half of what goes on over the next four days.

"Yeah," Mara replies, flicking her turn signal. She switches over into the right lane. Luke looks at the back of her head and then in the mirror. There are beads hanging around it, and a few feathers. Her eyes meet his and she smiles. "You alright, kid?"

Luke nods, returning her grin. A sign looms up ahead, bright red and with black lettering declaring that the festival was but a few miles away.

"Chill out, nerd." Katie teases. She opens her bag and pulls out a drawstring pouch. "Do you want something?" There's an assortment of colorful pills, many more than he'd noticed when she'd stuffed it in her bag. A blue one catches his eye and he points at it with a smile.