XXXIX - Pretty Boy

[okok since the last one wasnt a chapter heres a real update enjoú]

Sighing, I wiped some sweat from my forehead and sat back on the ground. It was one of the first few days of spring and it--finally--got a bit warmer. So I had decided to take my motorbike out and maybe drive around the city a bit.

Then I had remembered how dirty it actually was.

So, there I sat; on the edge of the sidewalk, polishing the motorbike I hadn't used in such a long time.

Maybe it actually hadn't been such a good idea to drive today.

Letting out another sigh, I mentally told myself to stop being such a whiny bitch and got to work again, rubbing on a dirty spot with the towel I had in my hand.

I was so deep in my thoughts, I didn't notice someone walk up behind me.

Only when that someone tapped my shoulder did I flinch and let the towel drop, then turned around.

And I would have been mad if that guy wouldn't have been super fucking cute.

And maybe, but only maybe, did my heart pound in my chest.

And maybe, but only maybe, was it because he was pretty and not because I got scared.

Maybe, but only maybe, it was a mixture of both.

He leaned down to be on eye-level with me, his red hair falling into his face and I was tempted to reach out and brush it behind his ear.

He grinned. "Hey."

"God," I sighed out, one hand on my chest, "don't scare me like that, dude!"

"Sorry," he chuckled, "I, uh, I actually just wanted to ask if you know where this address is..." he nervously handed me a piece of paper.

I let my gaze fly over the scribbly handwriting, then raised an eyebrow at him. "Dude, you're standing right in front of the house," I nodded my head to the house behind him and he turned, then shot me a nervous grin.

"Oh, uh, well that's embarrassing," he scratched the back of his neck and took the paper back from me, "still thank you." With that, he picked the bag next to his feet up but he seemed to struggle a bit.

I looked him up and down once, holding back a laugh. "Why is it so heavy? What do you have in that bag?"

"Oh, uh," he looked down at the bag as if he needed to find it out for himself, "just some food- my brother is throwing this weird party."

"Your brother lives in that house?" I asked, a bit surprised--I didn't know any of my neighbors that well but I hadn't seen that guy walk around. Like, ever. He nodded to answer my question. "What's his name, may I ask?"

Pretty-stranger gave me a confused look. "His name's Mikey- Mikey Way?"

"Oh, Mikey," I said, nodding knowingly, then stretched my hand out, "I'm Frank, his neighbor."

He shook my hand. "Gerard, Mikey's brother- well, you know the second part already, don't you?" He chuckled to himself as I took my hand back, then shifted from one foot onto the other; he reminded me of a small child and I couldn't help but smile at him. "Well, I better get going now, I'm already late. But it was nice meeting you, Frank."

He gave me a wave before turning and walking to the house.

I gave a small wave back, all thoughts of my motorbike forgotten.

-

That evening, I sat on my couch, watching a re-run of one of the Batman movies but only paying half of my attention to it.

After polishing the motorbike, I tried it out just to find out that one of the tires didn't work anymore. So I quickly gave up and put it back where I had stored it before.

Instead, I decided to work in the front yard a bit. There definitely were a lot of plants that weren't supposed to be there.

In my basement, I had found a few flower bulbs from the year before that I had never sowed. Shrugging, I had taken them and sowed them in the front yard.

And maybe, but only maybe, did I do a bit too much.

Every muscle of my being hurt.

I was pretty sure I felt muscles I never even knew I had, for example in my elbow.

Just, every move hurt.

So I had decided not to move at all anymore and wait until it was a reasonable time to go to sleep. And there I sat, watching a movie I had seen a million times before.

Until my doorbell rang.

For a second, I contemplated ignoring whoever stood in front of my door--it was fucking 7.30 pm, who the fuck decided to visit me now?

And when I had already decided not to acknowledge the doorbell at all, the someone on the other side of the door knocked and I heard a weak 'hello?'

Instantly, I was out of my seat and sprinted to the door, ignoring how my legs objected to the sudden movement. I got onto my tip-toes and looked through the small hole in the wood, then yanked the door open just to lean against it 'casually' right after.

"Hey," I said to the pretty guy in front of me, trying to be as flirty as possible, "here often?"

Gerard snorted at my behavior, the corners of his mouth twitching up. "No, I'm not here often because I live two hours away. Why? Are you here often?"

Confused, I glanced to the side and back at him. "Yeah, you can basically look into my living room."

"I'm fucking with you, Frankie!" Now, he full-on laughed, then held the plate in his hand out. "Here, that's for you."

"For me?" I repeated, caught off-guard, and took the plate from him.

"If you're still Frank, yes," he grinned, shoving his hands into his pockets awkwardly.

"Why, thank you," I sent him a genuine smile which he returned almost immediately, then lifted the foil up a tiny bit, "what is that?"

"Just some mashed potatoes and steak."

I shoved the plate back into his hand. "Sorry, but I'm vegetarian."

"Oh," Gerard faltered, obviously disappointed, "I- I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"It's okay," I gave him a weak smile, "it's the thought that counts."

He slumped his shoulders and let out a sigh. "Maybe- but only maybe," I smiled a tiny bit, "you could show me some vegetarian receipts so I know what to get you next time?"

My smile widened and I nervously glanced at the ground before looking back at his pretty hazel eyes. "Yeah, I could definitely do that sometime. Next Saturday, if that's okay with you?"

"That's super okay with me," he stared at me like a deer in headlights for a second, then seemed to snap out of it, "but, just to be clear; that's a date, isn't it? 'Cause, if not, I'd may-or-may-not lose a bet with my brother now, just for you to know."

I chuckled--I had never talked to Mikey but he seemed like a cool dude. And he had a cute brother. "Then, so you don't lose that bet; I'd say yes, that is a date."

"Awesome," Gerard pushed a small piece of paper into my hand, then swiftly kissed my cheek and turned to go back upstairs. When he was halfway up the first flight of stairs, he stopped, caught my gaze and mouthed 'call me'.

Then, he winked and vanished back upstairs.

I slowly closed the door and stared at it for a minute or two.