27. Pulling off the male look

Start from the beginning

Sleep is harder to find this time around, my body is awake and the world seems to be making as much noise as it can. Owls singing calls to one another outside, the creaking of the wooden floorboards out in the passageway as someone moves around, and then the constant cries of the wind accompanied by the strong rain battering against the inn. It is never stopping but finally I drift off once more.

~~~

I wake this time to the sound of kids playing outside. I climb out of bed and peer out the window, a group of them are running around and jumping in puddles, mud covering them. The rain has lessened to a drizzle but the wind is still howling.

Not knowing what time we're leaving today urges me to get ready and go down for breakfast, my body feels slightly achy but I brush off the feeling.

I arrive downstairs and scan my eyes around the room looking for Sage or Killian but surprisingly, don't see either. I head over to a table and sit down, after a few minutes I'm approached by the women from yesterday. I came to the conclusion last night that her and her husband — the one who cooked our meal last night, must run this inn together.

"Good morning!" She greets me, "Are you to have breakfast here this morning?"

"I am, I don't suppose either of my companions have come down already?" I ask.

"No, not yet, but what can I get you laddy? Some fine bread or maybe our famous scrambled eggs?"

I reach inside my money pouch, and draw out ten pennies, "How much is it for the scrambled eggs?"

She grins, "A fine choice, and only two pennies,"

I pass them all to her. Unlike the last place, where we paid for everything on the spot, here it is a pay as you go.

"My fine lad, this is too much,"

"It's for the other two as well, when they eventually come down," I tell her.

"But even then, it's too much,"

She tries to give two bag but I gently push her away, "No keep the change,"

"Then thank you! We shall go make you the finest eggs of the land!" She waddles away smiling.

A few minutes later she comes back out with my food and places it down on the table, "Now if you need anything, and I mean it, come find me."

"I'm very grateful for your hospitality!" I laugh, "Do you by any chance know where I can find dried fruit to buy?"

"Ah you'll want to head down the road to Mavis's place, it's the one on the corner." She lets out a laugh and winks at me, "You'll find luck there."

"Thank you, ma'am," I bow my head, slightly confused.

"Enjoy the eggs," She bustles off and I dig into the food, forgetting her strange look, my taste buds and stomach celebrating. I take my time enjoying breakfast, probably the last good one I'll have in a long time, but neither of my male companions come down. 

I sigh, it is still early and they're probably both making the most of the good beds and warm blankets, I would be too if it wasn't for those kids waking me up. After eating my plate is taken away by the little girl and I venture outside. The moment I open the door, a large gust of wind hurls itself at me, almost achieving to blow off my cap but I manage to grab it first.

I brace myself, then plunge outside, closing the door behind me. The rain has picked up again, the wind causing it to come at me almost horizontally. Holding onto my cap for dear life, I run almost blindly down the street, at least in daylight everything is easier to see so I don't get lost.  A few brave souls are also wandering the street, each minding their own business, and focused on their tasks at hand, the children have vanished, probably chased away by the weather.