22. Becoming a graveyard

I wake up, sleep fogging up my brain, but headache thankfully long gone. I roll over and realise that both Sage and Killian are asleep on the floor, sprawled out and wrapped in blankets, peaceful expressions on both of their faces.

A twinge of guilt floods into me as one of them could've slept beside me and get an actual good night sleep.

Hanging over the end of the bed frame is my beloved cap, I smile, Sage must have picked it up at some point, leaving it out in an obvious place for me to take and change back into Leon.

Quietly I sneak out of bed and, grabbing the cap, I leave the room. I make my way down the passageway and out though the front, my stomach grumbling loudly as I pass through the eating area. I make a mental note to grab some breakfast when I'm back, having missed supper due to last nights adventures.

"Good morning lassie!" Merik greets me with a smile from behind the counter, "I hope ye feeling much better now."

I smile, "Yes thank you, my head is fine now,"

"Glad to hear it, can I tempt you with some food on the house?"

I shake my head, "I appreciate the offer but I must be on my way," and I don't want Killian to wake up and start asking questions, "however could you point me in the direction of the river?"

"But of course! Head outside and wander along the track going left, it will eventually lead you to the bathing spot."

"Thank you, also if my kind saviours ask after me, can you tell them I appreciated their help so much but had to get back to my family and didn't want to wake them up."

I subtly cross my fingers, praying that he will buy into my story.

"I will pass on the message, and what name should I call you by?"

"Novella," I blurt out, then instantly regret dawns on me, my name is so unique that anybody trying to track me down would immediately be able to pinpoint me, I start flustering "sorry I meant, Ell, no Ella,"

"Ella?" Merik looks amused.

"Yes," I take a breath, "my name is Ella."

"Okay Ella, well be safe."

I smile and walk out the door, still trying to collect myself, I need to be more cautious. The village is only just awakening itself, a few children playing on the green, and old man carting onions down the street. I share friendly looks with everyone and make my way down to the river, where thankfully no one is.

Leaving my shoes and cloak on the bank, I clamber over the rocks dotted everywhere in the river and make my way to the faster flowing water near the middle. Crouching down on a rock I dip my hand into the icy cold water, and splash it over my face, both cleaning and awakening myself up.

Quickly I clean the rest of myself, not wanting to feel the cold water dripping down my body any longer then necessary, my brief rinse will have to do. I make my way back over to the river and sit in a sunny patch of ground, the sunlight bathing me in warmth, and drying me. Carefully I re-pin my hair up after attempting to detangle it, the motions now becoming an easy, thoughtless routine.

Putting shoes and cloak back on, and not before smearing a new fresh layer of dirt onto my face, my logic of cleaning my face in the river not making any sense, I walk back up to the inn, preparing myself to becoming Leon again, the excitement wearing off, now just another part of my day.

I'm welcome in by Merik, smiling and joyful as ever.

"Good morning lad! Your fellow travellers are over in the corner," He gestures over to some tables and I catch sigh of Sage and Killian digging into food.