fifteen ➵

fifteen ➵

zayn didn't show up at school the next day, or the day after that. liam wanted so badly to go over and ask if he was okay, but every time he tried to go see where zayn was, his mother would stop him and tell him no. liam spent his afternoons staring out his window and waiting to at least see zayn walk past his own window.

"maybe he's sick, liam. or he just wants space. respect that, alright?" liam's mother said softly before patting her sons back and walking out of his room

liam sighed as he sat against his window, watching zayn's house for any sign of anyone. he hadn't even seen zayn's father at all since that day when he came home early to find zayn and liam hugging, and that made him even more scared of what might have happened to zayn.

.

on friday as liam was walking out of his house to start his walk to school, he saw zayn. it had been five days since liam had last seen zayn and when he laid eyes on him, he wanted to cry.

zayn had dark purple bruises on his face, and he walked with a obvious limp. he looked skinnier than ever, and his face was hollow with dark circles under his eyes.

liam ran to zayn and immediately wrapped his arms around his best friend.

"zayn! oh my god!" liam exclaimed, pulling away to look at zayn closely. zayn wouldn't make eye contact with liam and just stared down at his shoes.

"are you okay?" liam whispered, absentmindedly reaching down to hold zayn's hand in his own. zayn shrugged his bony shoulder slightly as he intertwined his fingers with liam's. zayn appreciated the loving contact considering the only human contact he'd had in the past week was a fist aimed at his chest.

zayn nodded his head and glanced up at liam. "yeah, i guess so." he mumbled.

liam sighed as he started to walk, pulling zayn along with him.

"where have you been?" liam asked while they walked slowly towards the school.

"home." zayn answered, shrugging again. "dad had this week off from work..."

liam looked over to zayn with wide eyes. he knew what zayn meant, and that his father being home was not in zayn's favor. the two boys were still holding hands, enjoying how close they were.

"i'm scared to go to school, li." zayn admitted as the high school came into view. "what if a teacher notices and tells someone and i have to leave?"

as much as liam wanted zayn to stay with him, he knew that the right thing to do would be to tell the authorities about zayn's father. "zayn, I think it's a good thing if a teacher does. you won't have to suffer anymore."

zayn's eyes widen and he stared at liam in disbelief.
"liam, I'll have to go to a home or something!" he cried, "I'll be homeschooled and I would never get adopted because who wants a suicidal, teenage boy!?"

"i'm just saying, zee.." liam mumbled, thinking that maybe zayn was right.

the two approached the school, sighing simultaneously once they entered through the front doors. liam walked zayn to his class (as usual) and hugged him goodbye, not caring that anyone stared. liam didn't miss how zayn smiled and blushed a bit after their hug. he also didn't miss how zayn's shirt had come up for a second, revealing many new, bright red cuts.

.

the time between third and fourth period was the only time of the day that liam and zayn couldn't see each other. being that their classes were on opposite sides of the school, they just waited until after fourth period was over to meet up.