six ➵

six ➵ (unedited, let me know of any errors please)

liam and zayn spent the next day together in liam's front yard. zayn would sit on the tire swing, swaying back and forth while liam laid across the branch that held the swing up. (zayn may or may not have been too scared to climb the tree).

"it's so pretty out today. im glad we can spend it together." zayn said softly, looking up at liam.

liam smiled back and nodded in agreement. "i wouldn't want to spend it with anyone else."

zayn blushed a bit at that and faced the ground quickly. he hated how easily he blushed around liam, he felt so vulnerable, yet so safe at the same time. it was a strange thing that zayn didn't quite understand. although he followed enough tumblr blogs and read enough stories to know that that's how you act around a crush. but he didn't have a crush on liam. liam was just his best friend.

"why don't you ever hang out with your other friends, li?" zayn asked.

liam just shrugged, "i see them all the time at school, and i never see you. so you deserve to see me on the weekends."

plus, liam thought, you're way more fun and prettier to look at than my other friends.

"why aren't you ever with your other friends?" liam decided to ask, just curious as to why.

zayn shrugged softly, "i don't have anyone but you, li." he whispered.

liam sighed quietly and left it at that.

-

hours later liam had climbed down the tree to join zayn in the grass, laying facing the sky.

they laughed together as they pointed out clouds shaped like puppies and whales and shoes. zayn looked over at liam and smiled happily.

"i'm happiest with you, liam. thanks for being my friend."

liam smiled back at zayn, not sure what to say, as zayn's smile seemed to make him at a loss for words.

"liam!" a rough voice shouted, making liam and zayn both sit up. at the end of liam's driveway was felix, the captain of the football team and one of liam's friends.

zayn immediately looked down, feeling nervous.

"want to come with me and the team to the lake? we're having a party." felix asked, walking over to liam. he spoke as if zayn wasn't there, as if zayn didn't want to do anything fun at the lake.

liam looked to zayn. a lake party did sound fun, but he didn't want to ditch zayn.

"could zayn come?" liam suggested, looking at felix. felix shrugged and sighed.

"if he wants, i guess." he muttered, "just be there by 3pm?"

liam smiled and nodded. "I'll see you then!"

and with that, felix walked away, leaving zayn staring at liam.

"liam!" zayn scolded, "i can,t swim, you know that!"

"it'd be fun to just go and hang out." liam promised, "please come with? i want you to have fun too!"

zayn sighed, shaking his head. "only because you're my friend."

liam broke out into a smile and tugged zayn inside so they could change into swim trunks.

-

at the lake, the while footy team was there and it made zayn nervous. he was scared that liam would leave him for one of his better friends.

"let's go get something to drink." liam suggested, pulling zayn to where the drinks were.

zayn let liam pour him a soda and watched at liam started talking to felix and some guy who zayn didn't know.

zayn was starting to feel left out as liam continued on and on about football. he leaned against the side of the drink table and folded his arms. zayn just wanted to go home and read, not be here at a place that he had no business being at.

eventually, liam turned to zayn and smiled.

"want to come sit at the end of the dock with me?" liam asked.

zayn nodded and followed as they walked down the dock and then sat with their feet dangling over the edge.

"it's really pretty." zayn muttered. he looked over the lake and how the sun and clouds reflected off the water. he thought about what a pretty drawing it would make and if only he had his sketchbook.

"yeah it is." liam agreed, leaning back on his hands and looking up into the sky. "im glad you came with me."

before zayn could answer, he felt strong arms pushing his back, pushing him into the water. he panicked as he tried to swim to the top.

now, zayn wasn't stupid. he had read books where someone gets pushed into water and stupidly flails around and ends up dying or whatever. he knew to stay calm and just try to swim, unfortunately, you seem to forget all logic when you're in danger yourself. so of course, zayn ended up swallowing a shit load of water.

luckily, in his struggle to reach the surface, he felt someone wrap there arms around his waist.

zayn gasped for air as he surfaced, attempting to tread water. liam guided zayn to the bank, making sure he was okay.

"god, they're pricks." liam said after he looked zayn over and made sure he was alive and stuff.

zayn felt himself tearing up, his emotions getting the best of him.

"y-yeah." he whispered. as the adrenaline wore off, he saw the group of boys laughing and walking away, leaving liam and zayn alone. zayn couldn't control it as he started to cry.

liam's face fell, trying to comfort zayn e mumbled a 'lets go home' and took his best friends hand.

zayn nodded and took liams hand, still sobbing quietly.

liam lead a soaking wet and crying zayn home, where they changed and pulled warm clothes on and cuddled the rest of the night, forgetting about the mean boys.

-----

ending was bad, im sorry..

andofcourse i had to include that very cliche "falling into the water bc of bullies" scene bc what's a fanfic w/o cliche-ness??

but this is a long update (i think?? im on my phone so no word count). im just glad i updated.

also, it'll be my two year anniversary with my girlfriend on nov. 4th! yay!

and also, i really like parenthesis and commas.

-rylnn xxxxxxxxxx