He made a sharp turn and I had to hold onto the door to keep myself from crashing into him. The roads were getting narrower and narrower, we often had to stop on the side to let cars pass.

"My dad's a Capricorn and my mom's a Scorpio."

"Wait, what? I thought they were Pisces."

"What made you think that?"

"I don't know, I just assume everyone has the same sign as their parents." I'd been conditioned to think like that, especially since my parents were the same sign. "I read somewhere that three-fourths of couples were matched to the same sign in our parent's generation but now it's more like one-fourth."

I only knew of two couples who were the same signs in our year—the Gemini matches Zoe and Sam and the Taurus matches Penelope and Ethan.

"That sounds right. I don't think it matters though. You know, same sign or different."

"Hmm. I think it makes it easier because you're so similar. Like my parents never fight. If they do, they express their anger in the same way, which is not talking to each other for a few hours, and then they make up the next day."

It was the same in the way they did everything else. If they were sad, they knew to give each other space and then the other would come around. If they have a problem they want to bring up, they were both direct and calm about it. They thought in the same way so they acted in the same way. They understood each other without even saying a word.

"Don't you think that's a little boring though? When you're so similar to someone, it gets predictable."

"Yeah but it's nice to be understood. If you're too different, you clash too much." I couldn't be too different from someone else if I wanted to be friends with them. It was one of the reasons why I avoided Virgos because we just had nothing in common. Esme was the only exception.

"Yeah, I agree. We have to have at least one thing to bond over." He finally nodded.

"What do your parents do?" I changed the subject.

"My mom's a pianist and my dad works for the government."

"He has a sector job? That's pretty cool." Those jobs were hard to secure and very secretive. Dad used to tell me they went around and decided on the punishments in Centrum.

"No, he's a Select."

"Shut the front door—!" I opened and closed my mouth repeatedly like a guppy, "And you never told me this because?"

There were twelve Selects, one for each sector, that were voted in every four years to basically be the leader of everyone. They were powerful and rarely seen since they were so busy—but anyone could point a Select out in a crowd.

This was huge.

"It never came up." Cade didn't seem bothered.

"And here I thought your dad was some artist or something." I wanted to know everything about his dad's job, down to even the most minuscule details. "What does he do everyday? What are his policies? Have you ever been in his office? What's his favorite case? What's he like in person?"