Chapter 2 - The Problem

Start from the beginning

Damon sat behind the wheel and began driving away. "And what would you like?"

"Take me to my apartment. I have to pick something up for work." He punched his address into the console GPS without waiting for a reply. The cab fair would have been ridiculous otherwise, but he didn't feel like this guy was going to kill him in his sleep if he learned where he lived, so they continued heading towards his apartment nearly an hour away.

They eventually pulled up to an old complex. It was by no means fancy, but it also wasn't quite a dump either. As well off as Ricky was now, he didn't feel comfortable spending large amounts of money on an unnecessarily large apartment.

He got out of the car and started walking up the stairs. Unlocking his apartment door on the 3rd floor, he was startled to find Damon close behind him.

"Cheeseburgers! You scared me!" He yelped.

Damon's face remained passive as he followed the man inside, bowing his head to fit through the door.

Quickly he hunted down the report and returned to his living room where the enormous demon stood awkwardly looking around. 

"Do you want anything to drink? Coffee, tea...Or I could make you a juice?"

"Juice?" Damon looked confused.

"Yes! I can make you a juice blend. You know, with some celery, cucumber, ginger, all that good stuff. It tastes better than it looks, I swear."

"No thanks." He shook his head, looking slightly upset. "I'd rather talk about the divorce."

Ricky shrugged. "It's just some paperwork right? I can sign and we can be done with it." 

"It's not that simple." Damon began. "It's....It's Chris. He....He doesn't want to go through with the divorce."

Ricky froze, knowing that they wouldn't be able to finalize anything without Chris's signature. "What?"

"Look, I don't understand it myself." Damon scratched his head and frowned. "But he's being so stubborn about it. He claims he still loves you and wants to work things out, but quite frankly I think he's being too selfish about this. All these years I thought I knew him, then he pulls this shit."

"So then...What are we going to do?" Ricky couldn't get the shocked expression off his face. He had expected to sign the divorce papers and be done with everything quickly, but if Chris wouldn't cooperate, that complicated things. 

"I don't know. My other husbands and I have been discussing it but we're all still reeling from him lying to us in the first place."

"Wait...Did you just say.....Husbands? As in Plural?"

Damon nodded. "Hector and Thomas are our other husbands. They're not sure how to handle everything either. None of us ever expected Chris to do something like this."

"Uh huh..." Ricky sucked in a breath and held it. That meant that he too, had two more husbands technically. Even if it hadn't been written down, that stupid defacto clause made it so that all husbands involved would have to sign the damn paper now. "But you're all in agreement, right? Aside from Chris, you all agree to file for divorce from me?"

Damon looked surprised at the suggestion. "Of course. We would never hold you to this marriage against your will. We just need to work on convincing Chris a little more. I'm sure he'll come around...I think."

Ricky watched the demon's shoulders slump, making him look less confident than he sounded. 

"How did you deal with it?" Damon suddenly asked.