Chapter 2 - The Problem

Start from the beginning

Oddly enough, the next day he was able to keep up his happy go lucky appearance at work despite the cacophony of emotions swirling inside him. One of his tasks at the current meeting was to suggest a more efficient way to keep track of hourly paychecks versus salary workers. Their current software just wasn't cutting it as the company grew, so they were trusting him to find a solution and he had luckily managed to schedule a meeting the next day with the CEO.

"Have you fully tested it out?" Mrs. Carday asked from the display screen in their meeting room. Most of the people in the meeting were in other states and had to join via video call, but each one was on the board of directors.

"Yes, we already got our HR department set up on the payment system a month ago. So far no problems." Ricky explained after going over his presentation. "Tomorrow we're going to meet up and negotiate a price point over dinner."

"Excellent. Glad to see our new VP is taking action so quickly. I expect to hear good things in the next meeting." Mrs. Carday smiled as her screen shut off. The meeting was finally over and Ricky could now head home to wrap his head around yesterday's events.

"Wait a moment Mr. De'stat!" One of the secretaries came running from around the corner. "Do you have that report from last month's project?"

Ricky face palmed. "Yes, yes I do. Don't worry, I'll have it here by tomorrow."

She smiled apologetically. "Can we get it tonight?"

Ricky's ears were ringing. He needed to turn in that report before his meeting tomorrow or the budget he'd requested for the new software wouldn't be approved. "Okay, yes, I'll go get it now."

"Oh good!" She clapped her hands, somehow avoiding breaking her ridiculously long painted nails. "Oh, and you got a call. A Mr. Reyes is waiting for you out front."

"Mr. Reyes?" He asked, but the secretary just shrugged and left. Confused, Ricky took the elevator down and met with Damon in the front lobby.

"Ricky." He greeted him.

"....Mr. Reyes?"

Damon just nodded. "We really need to talk. I'll give you a ride." He began walking away.

Ricky was extremely uncomfortable with this situation and tried looking around for Chris, but the bastard wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"It's just us." Damon confirmed after noting the way Ricky was searching.

"Really? Will anyone else be joining? Maybe a random bystander to bear witness in case anything unfortunate happens?" Ricky asked, half serious.

"I promise I just want to talk." Damon assured him. Outside, the man walked them to a black sports car that looked to be worth at least a couple years worth of his paychecks. "Get in."

"I honestly would rather not." He forced his fake smile and stood back, head cocked. "I understand you want to talk, but look at this from my perspective. You're much more powerful than me, and currently married to my ex husband." He emphasized 'ex'. "I know how possessive we demons can get, so if you're wanting me to back off of Chris, you don't need to worry about that."

Damon let out a long sigh and closed his eyes. "That's...Not it at all. Look, I just want to talk about this whole situation. You're not the only one who was cheated on."

"And how is that my problem?" Ricky did not budge. "Are you trying to make me feel guilty for you?"

Damon opened his eyes and stared the smaller man down. "No, I just...I wanted to talk to someone about it."

"Why me?"

"Because you have more experience dealing with this than I do."

As much as he didn't want to, he did feel a bit of remorse for the guy. Glancing back at the building, he hesitated for another moment, then entered as instructed. "Just to be clear, I'm doing this as a favor and expect something in return."