Life in the Flames-3

Thanks everyone for reading, commenting, and voting! So here is Chapter 3 of Life in the Flames...

Chapter 3
My Escape

There was no way I was going to stand in the presence of the prince of the fire kingdom, no way. I turned away from him and looked out over the ocean. Then off in the horizon I saw the long shadow of shore line starting to grow as we approached. Turning back around I found the prince was watching me with his red eyes.

I don't know why but anger surged inside me and again my power hit the wall. In my anger I stormed back into my cabin, with the sheer fabric flapping behind me until I slammed the door.

Shouldn't you tell someone that you are a prince when you first meet them! What deception! My father was the chief of our people but I don't have that title anymore. My people are gone, I thought as I paced around the small room.

Then out of the corner of my eye I noticed my water skin underneath the hammock. I grabbed it and and sat down on the hammock with it resting in my lap. Then an idea popped into my head. I ripped off the evil collar and threw it into the far corner of the room. Then I waited, I waited in silence until I heard the voices of the sailors barking the orders to get ready to dock.

I have to wait for the right moment, I thought as my heart began to pound faster inside my chest.

Finally I felt the movement of the boat slow to a halt and heard the noises of it being tethered to the dock. Footsteps echoed through out my small little room. I waited for the noise of the key fitting into my door before I made my first move. Then I strapped my water skin around my shoulders where it came and rested at my hip. I stepped down onto the floor boards, stepping quietly so my sandals and new clothing wouldn't make noise as I approached the wall beside the door.

I took the stopper out of my bottle and with my power, I lifted all the water I had left into a ball above my hand as the door began to open. I threw the last bit of fresh water in the face of the man who was trying to get me, who stuttered and fell back in surprise and I took that time to run past him.

To my dismay, I realized I had gotten the attention of the entire crew. I raised up my hands connecting with the water at both sides of the ship and made the water raise up into walls. I then motioned my hands into circles causing the wall of water to curl over the sides of the ship. Then as the wall of water crashed onto the ship causing all the fire wielders to cough and to be unable to wield fire to stop me, I pushed my hands out making the water force the crew against the railings, even causing a few to go overboard into the water.

I took my chance and sprinted to the gangplank. Halfway down I heard my name and I turned to see Reid dripping wet standing at the top of the gangpank. "Alonia! Wait don't-"

I had enough, I was not about to go with him willingly. Then I strode down to the wooden pier turned around and faced the prince. I balled my fists, grasping a hold of the water below and made it lift and splinter the gangplank into the ocean. The people on the pier all stood and stared at seeing the water bend to my will. I took my chance and sprinted down an alley as I heard the orders to start after me.

I ran and ran and ran some more. Twisting and turning down, across, and through the cobblestone roads in between house, shops, and restaurants of the like. I dodged people all the while getting looks of confusion and surprise. I would doubt they saw a water wielder, dressed in fine clothing compared to what most of them were wearing, and running for her life every day. I had finally lost the shouting soldiers and I slowed down to try and catch my breath bending over with my hand on my knees.

After I had finally caught my breath I looked around at my surrondings and my stomach sank. It looked like the less fortunate side of town. Laundry was strung between houses that were small and built right next to each other on both sides of the road. They looked to have been made out of baked clay, all with fire braziers right by the front doors. The windows of the houses were cut out squares with wooden shutters on the insides.