S e v e n

The next morning I let Mary sleep in. Cooking breakfast was easy enough by myself, Mary and Tobias didn't come out of their rooms so I ended up eating by myself.

I washed my dishes before doing my rounds of the house, out of habit I went to the stables, I was surprised when I saw Tobias leaning against Ben's gate with his staff in hand.

He turned his head to me when he heard me enter before looking back at where Ben had died. He was silent, ignoring my presence. I nervously fiddled with my fingers, bitting down on my tongue as I began to turn back around to the entrance.

"Thank you for being there with him when he died... I didn't want him being alone," he said in a toneless voice.

I turned back around and nodded, keeping my head bowed as well as my distance from him.

"I'll get everything ready to catch a horse tomorrow," he said, turning to face me. "Your welcome to join if you'd like."

I nodded my head, continuing to look down at my feet.

"How did Gordon find you? He hasn't participated in finding women in a long time. So why you?"

I bit the inside of my cheek as I raised my shoulders and dropped them in a shrug.

In my peripheral vision I watched as he tilted his head to the side slightly, analysing me. "You are a pretty little thing but I don't think that is the case here."

My eyes widened as I snapped my head up to him, he hummed as if mentally noting something.

"You don't get complemented much do you. Surprising, I thought most men in London would call you other things, making what I said nothing in comparison. Maybe it's because I'm more of a gentleman than those idiots," he scoffed to himself.

I propped my hands on my hips with an annoyed look on my face.

"This is new," he observed, saying it to himself aloud.

"I could say a lot about you too." I mouthed.

He chuckled in amusement. "Well I can't stay here all day. Tell Mary I've gone to work when she gets up."

I raised a brow, my annoyed expression changing into one of curiosity.

"I'll see you tomorrow." With that he walked out of the stable in long strides. I snapped my head away, finding myself staring at his firm backside.With a groan, I stomped back inside the house as Tobias sped down the dirt driveway.

Mary smiled at me from her doorway. "Sorry, I'm a bit late in getting up. I was more tired than usual."

I waved her apology off with a small smile.

"Did Tobias head off to work?"

I nodded.

She sighed with a smile. "Do you mind giving me a hand in the garden?" I shook my head. "Thank you.," she said as both of us made our way outside.

~~~

That night I was woken by loud noises in the hallway, I was just about to go out to check what it was but stopped when I remembered Mary telling me not to leave my room, I heard Mary curse several times making me frown, never had I heard her swear nor thought such a kind lady would swear, but I should know that looks can be deceiving.

I stayed up listening to Tobias hiss a string of curse words multiple times, noises of glass bottles clanking together could be heard as well.

Maybe he's hurt?

But what from? And how?

An hour later I heard their footsteps move to the stairs, heading for Tobias's room. In fact I noticed Tobias's grunts, making me realise there was no girl or man the other night, he was just in pain. Which added up, because the next morning Mary had to help him around the house and I saw no evidence that there was another person in the house.