O n e

I sat atop of a bridge, looking down into the distance that disappeared into dark waters. I felt numb, void of any emotion. I scooted closer to the edge, embracing the cold bite of the wind.

I looked up into the darkness, it was the early hours of the morning, around 1:00am. So no one was going to stop me. Stop me from ending something that wasn't life, I was just something that was walking and breathing.

So I was surprised when I heard a car pull over, doors shutting, footsteps falling.

"Hey!"

It took the person to shout once more before I turned around to look at them, to see a man in a black suit, another in the same attire stood a few steps behind him. I turned back around as the man walked over to me.

It was now or never. I didn't want to keep on suffering in this life.

Just as the man reached me I slipped off of the bridge, in that moment I was free, suspended in air, but it was a very short lived moment of freedom seeing that the man quickly reached out and grabbed onto my arm, hauling me up and over the bridge with a few grunts, but he made quick work of it.

"Stupid girl" the man growled looking at me on the floor, my back against the railing of the bridge.

I looked up at him with dull eyes, wondering why he did what he did.

"Next time let me talk before you do something so stupid–"he huffed out a sigh "– I have an offer for you, if you approve of it than I will help you, if not you can do whatever you want with your life."

I blinked.

He sighed quietly, "you don't want to live your life correct–" he didn't let me answer and instead carried on "–well what if you gave it to someone else."

I blinked again.

"Meaning, you will be sold to the highest bidder for them to do whatever they want with your life. Of course there are rules, seeing that this is a gentleman's auctions. So you are guaranteed that you will not be sexually abused, or badly harmed at most. Majority of men there look for cheap maids. So are you in or are you out."

I looked at my finger tips which were red from the cold, hesitating.

"I mean, what do you have to lose? You could just come back here if you don't like it."

Biting the inside of my cheek I paused a moment to think apon what he was offering. How convenient, showing up at the time I was just about to end all that I was. Which honestly wasn't much, nothing anybody would miss.

But he was right. What did I have to lose, I was at my end. His offer stirred something inside me. A second chance, it wasn't something easy to come across.

It was a chance to do better. A chance to have a purpose. Pulling away from my thoughts I bit the inside of my cheek and nodded, standing up slowly.

He smiled "great, come along then."

He escorted me back to the car, the other man giving me no acknowledgment along the way. I got into the back seat as the two occupied the passenger and the drivers seat.

Although I wondered where we were going I didn't ask. My mother always told me it's not good to ask questions, otherwise you'll wind up getting beat or worse. Well that was a rule that applied to my father, I'm not sure if that was for men in general seeing that I rarely got out of the house. My father had taught me to fear this world.

"your awfully quite back there" the man that had been talking to me said.

I kept my eyes down as I fiddled with my fingers.