Chapter Twenty-Eight

Regina stumbles in shock backwards off the front porch of Emma's temporary home with her mouth agape and her head mindlessly shaking. She feels a shallow cave forming in her chest just before a ripple of shivers attack her body. She knows, she feels the pressure building in her gut and she knows something is wrong. That's not like her Emma to dismiss her so quickly and carelessly.

Regina scans her surroundings for any kind of clue that maybe Emma may not be alone or if someone is lurking in the shadows watching them, but she comes up short. She shuffles back to her home, pulling out her phone and scrolling through the recent calls until she finds the one random number from a few days ago. She quickly falls into her home, slams the door shut and leans her back heavily against the door while pressing the phone to her ear.

"Hello, Nolan speaking."

"David Nolan, this is Regina Mills, we spoke-"

"Yes, yes. What can I do for you, Madam Mayor?" He questions, sounding slightly out of breath and agitated.

"I was calling because I really don't know who else to call. My-my son is missing right now, he never showed up for school and when I went to speak with Emma about the situation, she practically slammed the door in my face. Usually, when my son sneaks away, he runs to Emma, so I assumed he was at her house, but she refused to let me in. That's so unlike her, she always allows me to walk right into her home-"

"Well, you'd be the first," David mumbles under his breath, inspiring a warmth to spread across Regina's cheeks, painting them a delicate shade of pink.

"I-I was wondering if you have spoken to her recently? Something was off, she would never dismiss me in such a manner," she urges, hoping her girlfriend's Captain will be able to shine some light on the matter.

"I spoke with her over an hour ago, maybe two by now..."

"That's when I last spoke to her as well, before going to her home," she concludes, nervously nibbling on her bottom lip. "Maybe I should go back over there and-"

"Absolutely not," he sternly commands. "Listen to me, earlier we proceeded with our case and I have a feeling that she didn't exactly listen when I told her to stay away from the case," he growls into the phone, before she distinctly hears some papers rustling around in the back.

"She did," Regina stresses, hoping to save Emma from any trouble with her boss. "She was at home to pack her things, when I asked her to help me look for my son, she said she couldn't stay in Storybrooke any longer, she didn't want to risk her job."

"Something is definitely off, but for now I need you to stay in your home. Lock all the doors and do not leave, there is too much going on right now-"

"No, I can't. My son is still missing and I need to go out looking for him," she pleads.

"Call everyone you know to keep an eye out for him, but you have to stay in your house, especially if something is going on next door. I will send one of my guys over there immediately to check on Swan," he vows just before he ends the call, rather rudely, she thinks.

Her heavy head falls back against the door as her eyes drift closed and she presses her phone to her chest.

"Henry, where are you?" She whispers to herself.

~~~~~~

Emma's phone vibrates again in her pocket, the fourth time in a row as Bae continues to glare at her with his gun pointed directly at her chest. She takes one slow and steady breath and decides her best option is to convince Bae to leave the house, for Henry's sake.