Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Jesus!" Emma shrieks, her voice so abnormally high that she doesn't even recognize her own tone as a shockwave of nervous energy ripples through her system. "What the hell are you doing here?" She sputters out, her hand flying over her chest to keep her heart inside before the damn organ runs away in fear.

He doesn't say anything at first, no, he just sits at the edge of the couch, eyeing her warily. He's inspecting every detail, every move and breath she takes with great interest, like it's the first time he's ever laid eyes on her. A deep chill erupts from the base of her skull and torments her entire body, all the way down her spine. She knows by the haunted look in his eyes that something is wrong. Her detective skills and basic instincts are blaring and flashing in her mind, provoking her eyes to drift back toward the door, wondering if she can make a break for it.

"Bae, what are you doing here?" She investigates again, hoping the use of his name will snap him back from wherever his mind has traveled to.

His dark eyes drift slowly toward her wide-eyed gaze and he immediately smiles softly back at her. His index finger runs across his goatee before he gives it a little tug and he sinks further into the couch.

"You know there's something about you," he begins, his voice low, calm and almost soothing, if he didn't just break into her home. "Right away, I knew I liked you." She swallows thickly, listening very intently and wondering where he's going with this story. "When our eyes locked, I felt this instant connection," he explains, snapping his finger to stress his point. "Like maybe you held a secret deep inside that matched the one harboring inside of me."

"Bae, really, why are you here?" She quietly asks again, knowing she needs to keep her temper in control and not agitate the man who may or may not be threatening her life right now.

"I'm here because I know," he cryptically states with conviction, his hard gaze locking onto hers and just waiting for her to confess.

"Know what?"

"I know you're a cop," he smugly replies, never insinuating that he's going to divulge any more information.

"What?" She gasps breathlessly, squinting at him in disbelief.

He breathes out a laugh through his nose, mindlessly scratching the scruffy hair decorating his chin. "Don't play dumb, I'm not a fool." He leans forward, resting his elbows upon his knees and clasping his hands together. "Just please tell me," he gently pleads, "are you snooping around my brother's new business?"

Emma tilts her head to the side in consideration, examining his puppy dog eyes and his crooked smile and even though the sirens of mistrust are screaming in her mind, he appears innocent.

"Why do you think I'm a cop? I'm just a writer," she feigns innocence still, shrugging her shoulders and flashing her most adorable grin with her dimples coming into the play.

"It's okay," he tenderly says, peering up at her so sweetly. "I just want to know if my little brother is doing something wrong. I just want to protect him, you know?" He sighs, scratching the back of his neck and dropping his gaze to the floor. "He always does whatever everyone tells him, I just hope he didn't find himself in a bad situation. If he did, maybe I can put a stop to it." He slowly stands and on instinct Emma moves to step back, but she forces herself to remain rooted to the ground to appear confident and not at all like she's in danger. "Maybe I can call my dad and he can talk some sense into him. Just please, tell me if he's in the wrong," he begs, his dopey eyes glistening with compassion and pleading for the truth.

She swallows thickly, so unsure how to even navigate her way through this unexpected conversation. She should play the fool, insisting she is nothing more than a writer, on her way back to take care of her sick father. Yet, there's this voice whispering in the back of her mind, that maybe she can uncover some more information on Gold and Gideon if she plays her cards right. Jones and a team are on their way to bust Gideon now, Bae will never know until it's all over, maybe she can weasel her way onto his good side.