Chapter Sixteen

The wind is brutal this evening, howling and clawing at her windows as the thick raindrops pelt against her rooftop. She's bundled up warm, in an oversized hoodie and sweatpants, munching on a bowl of popcorn as she watches her favorite movie to fill her night. The storm is too aggressive to venture out tonight and work, so she's taking some time to herself.

She rented, A League Of Their Own, even though she's seen it a million times by now, but it's always her go-to movie when she's feeling a little low and tonight she is six feet under. She feels fucking terrible for constantly sneaking off after such wonderful evenings spent with Regina and Henry, but she's petrified of screwing up her case. And she's even more horrified of the idea of allowing another human into her heart after what happened the last time.

A time, she's still not healed from and is clearly still utterly broken from.

"Bitch!" The movie shouts, startling her from her wandering thoughts as the glass shatters from Kit's baseball and then the screen blacks out and everything in the maddening world is all too silent.

"Shit," she mumbles, climbing out from underneath her blanket and flicking the light switch on and off on the wall. "Well, great," she grumbles when the electricity refuses to cooperate.

She shuffles her tired feet toward the big bay window and inspects the street, noting how every light is off and the entire neighborhood is pitched black. It's the beginning of November and truthfully, it should be snowing, not raining, but the weather has been abnormally high as of recently. Either way, with no heat and no fireplace, she's going to freeze tonight.

And immediately her mind is wondering if the small family next door will be alright this evening with the power out. Without another thought on the matter, she's slipping into her boots and sliding into her jacket. She yanks her hood over her head and locates the umbrella near the front door. She quickly abandons her house and half eaten popcorn and darts across the yard to 108 Mifflin.

She jumps under the porch to protect herself from the freezing, harsh rain and pounds quickly on the heavy door. She hops up and down to keep warm, and knocks even harder against the door. It's only a full minute before Regina swings open the door in utter shock, gaping at her like a fish out of water.

"Hey, I wanted to make sure you and Henry are okay," she sheepishly says to a slack-jawed mayor.

Regina snaps her mouth shut and swallows thickly, stepping back into her pitched black home to grant Emma access. "I was just about to start a fire."

"Do you know how?" She teasingly investigates, shaking out her umbrella before closing it shut.

"It doesn't seem too complicated," Regina retorts dryly, shutting the door behind her unexpected visitor.

"Kinda spoiled by that electric one, huh?" Emma muses, kicking off her boots and shrugging out of her coat without any true invitation from her neighbor.

Regina kindly takes her leather jacket and hangs it on the coatrack on the wall, earning herself a small, shy smile in return. "I guess I have been spoiled by the electric one," she concedes before she wanders off toward the living room with Emma hot on her heels.

"Where's the kid?" Emma asks when she notices the living room is lacking a tiny human.

"He's upstairs, asleep. You do realize it's just after eleven," Regina dryly retorts over her shoulder while Emma's eyes try to adjust to the blackness swallowing them whole.

"He's gonna be freezing, no?"

"I placed my comforter on top of his to keep his body heat trapped inside. I think he will be alright until the power comes back on," she states.