Chapter 5

"Wait - do you live here?"

Spencer sighed and opened the door all the way, heading into her room, Ryan right behind her. She shut the door behind him and sat down on the bed.

Ryan looked around the small room. There weren't any possessions, except for a picture sitting on her dresser, and a small jewelry box right next to it.

"I'm not exactly sure where to begin," Spencer said quietly, looking down at her hands. He sat down next to her and smiled a little.

"How about from the beginning?" She let out a small laugh before taking a deep breath to steady herself.

"When I was 15, me, my parents, and my brother all went to go see a movie. It was in January, so the roads were really icy. After the movie, we were on our way home and my dad lost control of the car after hitting some black ice." She paused, wiping away her tears and trying to maintain steady breathing.

"Our car skidded into the opposite lane and I remember the bright flash of headlights, and the screams before we collided with the other car. My parent's died on impact. Me and my brother were both alive, but barely, he was a lot worse than I was, and died before we even made it to the Hospital." Her breath caught in her throat as more tears rolled down her cheeks.

Ryan moved closer to her and wrapped his arm around her, trying to comfort her.

"After I was conscious again, there wasn't a lot of physical damage. I had a concussion, a fractured arm and cuts on my arms from the glass. Other than that, I was fine physically, but clearly not emotionally. After being discharged from the Hospital, I met Mary and was brought here, which is where I've been for the past two years, and until I'm 18, which is in a few months."

Ryan wrapped her in a hug, and immediately after her body was shaking with sobs.

"It was my fault, Ryan! If I didn't want to go to that movie, we wouldn't have gotten in that accident, and my family would still be here!"

"Spencer, what happened was not your fault. Everything happens for a reason. As shitty as that sounds, I believe it's true. But your parents wouldn't want you to be blaming yourself for this. They would want you to be happy, and to move on from what happened in the past. I have no idea what you're going through, but I am sure it really is awful."

She pulled away from him and looked up at him, her face wet from tears and smiled a little.

"Thank you," She whispered.

"For what?"

"For being here for me." He smiled and wiped away her tears before standing up and pulling her with him. "Come on," He added.

"Where are we going?"

"I'm not going to make you spend Christmas here." Ryan said grinning and leading her outside.

- - - - - -

A/N Wow, I finally updated! Sorry, I've been busy with school, and a play I was in. But it's over now so I'll be updating both fanfics a lot more often! ^__^ Anyway, feedback please? I love getting comments and votes from y'all! Thanks