43. phone calls

taehyung sat silently biting his bottom lip.

jungkook stood there for a few minutes, not sure what to do now that he had apologized. "so are we good?"

taehyung looked up at jungkook. "i just want one thing."

jungkook's eyebrows threatened to furrow but he resisted as he calmed his breathing.

"i want to call my parents. i know it's not the best time but i need them to know i'm fine. i promise i won't say anything about you or us or- just anything. i won't say anything. except that i'm okay."

jungkook sighed, getting his teeth. "kay. fair enough. just let me put clothes on."

-

jungkook came back with a fresh clean black t shirt and grey sweatpants, settling down onto the foot of the bed with his bare foot tucked under his thigh. his chest stuck out while his large shoulders arched back and a wide smile added to his whole boyfriend material look.

would it bother you to stop being so fuckign hot, taehyung thought.

"we're gonna use a burner phone," he stated instructively, glancing up at taehyung who was curiously watching him click the call app. "i'd love to let you use my phone, but it's just- it's better this way."

taehyung nodded, grateful jungkook was even letting him do this.

"you know their number?" jungkook questioned as he put the phone in the smaller boy's hands.

taehyung nodded softly as he typed. each number felt like pulling a different heart string connected to home.

as soon as he pressed call, he quickly positioned the phone between him and jungkook and clicked speaker phone, which shocked jungkook.

he wants me to listen??? jungkook thought as taehyung anxiously traced his lips with his fingers. finally, static chimed as someone picked up.

"listen," a tired man said exhaustedly on the other side of the phone. "if this is another one of those pranksters telling me they know where my son is-"

"dad?"

that's about all it took to make tears erupt on the other side of the phone. taehyung's deep yet ever soft voice was the most recognizable warmest feeling in the universe. taehyung smiled softly as he heard his parents gather to the phone and let out excited cries. jungkook looked up, smiling affirmatively.

"taehyung. taehyung baby is that you? are you okay? taehyung, listen to us," the boy's parents exasperated themselves with words.

then it hit him.

"mom, dad, i'm okay, don't worry, i-i won't hang up on you," taehyung softly emphasized. memories flood as taehyung's cheeks streak with tears as his eyes sparkle. walking by the river. bed n breakfast. fireworks. "i'm fine."

"he's fine," his mom sighed as her dark features lit up with happiness. they were sitting at the reception desk of the bed n breakfast, that was previously taehyung's.

"but i'm not coming home yet. i'm so, so sorry that i won't tell you anything. and i don't know when i'm coming home. i'm sorry mom and dad."

jungkook was taken aback at home calm and collected taehyung made his words. he'd expected a waterfall of words to pour out, unintelligible to anyone but his parents who had been hearing his babbling all of his life.

there was a silence on the other side of the phone as his parents tried to find the right thing to say to him.

"i'm sorry."

without warning, taehyung hung up the call, leaving his parents alone in their thoughts and jungkook mystified with his behaviour.

seconds after they were gone, sobs erupted, so much worse than ever before. jungkook bundled him up in his arms, tracing circles on the small of his back. "shhh, you're going to be okay."

"i can't take it jungkook, i can't take them not knowing i can't them them thinking about me and thinking you're hurting me or not knowing when i'm going to be home," his words raced a mile a minute as he spoke them breathlessly into jungkook's shoulder.

jungkook closed his eyes, trying to refocus his thoughts on how to fix the situation.

"i love you," taehyung murmured as his breath calmed and tears soaked his eyelashes. he wasn't sure if jungkook heard, but he hoped he knew.