"Was your dad the same way?"

"No. He could be stern but understanding too. He could sort situations just by talking. He rarely punched anyone." Krey sighed. "He made a good Alpha. I'm shit."

"How can you say that?"

Krey, surprised by the slight raise in Pip's voice, shut his mouth. Pip spoke so quietly all the time, a raise in his voice lifted it to a normal speaking volume.

"You've been Alpha for only two months. How can you say you're rubbish when you've spent the entire time grieving? You're too hard on yourself."

"I'm not. I should be able to put my grief aside and just get on with it." Krey flopped back against the cushions, glaring up at the ceiling again. "I'm weak."

"Krey." Pip shook his head and crawled closer. He leaned over him, so Krey had no choice but to see his face. "Nobody expects you to be okay."

"My mother does."

"I'm sure she-"

"You don't know her like I do. She spends half the time pestering me about not driving my dad's pack into the ground. I don't fucking know what I'm doing. She should have taken the position, not me. I thought my dad would live to a fucking million or something. I should have had years to figure this out."

"Why couldn't your mum take the position?"

"She wasn't the alpha, only the alpha's mate."

"Well, I think you're putting unrealistic expectations on yourself. Y-You might be a werewolf, but you're part human with emotions. You lost a parent, Krey. It's normal to not be yourself for a while."

Krey stared at Pip, hovering over him with wise blue eyes. "You're too human."

"Too human for you?"

"No, you're a nice change." Krey pulled Pip on top of him and connected his fingers around Pip's back. "A werewolf mate would've driven me insane. We would have either killed each other or killed everyone around us. You're so nice and forgiving. I don't know how it's possible to be so... trusting. After what you've been through, I don't know how you're coping with being around werewolves." Krey inhaled sharply when Pip's brows pushed together. Krey had said too much.

"What I've been through?" Pip questioned, lying on top of Krey with hands on his chest.

Krey sighed. "I know what happened to your parents."

Pip thought he would have to break it to Krey about the way his parents died. He didn't want Krey to know that was the reason he was so terrified of his wolf, but Krey already knew. "How did you find out?"

"My mum recognised you from a newspaper article around the time it happened. Apparently, my parents were fighting for the writers to say they were mauled by dogs, not wolves. Apparently, there were witnesses who were adamant wolves had done it."

"D-Do you think wolves did it?"

Krey nodded. "There are no wild dogs around here."

Pip had heard the rumours about his parent's death. Thankfully, he wasn't there, but he heard the rumours before the police came to tell him that his parents were dead. Pip's world had shattered because of overhearing gossip.

"Is that why you're scared of dogs, and really scared of our wolves?" Krey asked.

Pip nodded. "I was worried to tell you."

"In case it would make me feel bad?"

"Yes."

"Pip." Krey rolled over, squishing his mate under him. He gripped Pip's face, looking deeply into his eyes. "This bond thing isn't going to be easy, is it?"

"No," Pip said truthfully. Krey was heavy on top of him, but warm, and gently slotting his fingers into his hair. "I-It might be easier if we um, well, if you talk to me a little more."

"About my feelings?"

"Yes."

"I'll try."

"I-If you don't, I'll shout at you." Pip grinned, deepening his dimples, not remembering the last time he shouted at anyone.

Krey scoffed, wondering if Pip was even capable of being angry. He tried to picture Pip scowling, all he saw was frustrated and adorable red cheeks. "I would love to see you mad."

"That's not the point I was trying to get across," Pip chuckled.

Krey soaked up Pip's laughter. "I will try though, I promise."

The way he said those words shivered Pip's spine. He knew Krey meant it.

Krey, feeling much better, flicked intense brown eyes to Pip's mouth. "I really am sorry for scaring you. I'll work on my anger too." Krey's chest felt light. Talking about problems out loud seemed to release all his other stresses.

Pip moved his hands to Krey's broad shoulders. "Thank you for apologising."

"Thank you for giving me a chance to talk." Most people saw the way Krey acted and didn't give him the time of day. Krey then noticed the leather-bound book on the side of the bed. "What's that?" he asked.

"Your mum gave it to me. It talks about human mates."

"Have you read any of it?"

"Yes. I now know why I have a headache and a sore throat."

Krey played with Pip's brown hair. "I'm guessing you know what to do to make yourself feel better?"

"Hug your wolf."

The thought stirred Krey's animal.

"The longer I take to hug your wolf, the sicker I'll feel."

"Yes. It's a design to ensure that human mates don't reject the werewolves. The human would get so sick, they'd beg to connect the bond, then once the bond is connected, they'd feel so in love, they wouldn't remember why they hated the werewolf in the first place."

"That's kind of..." Pip didn't want to say troubling. He was in a situation where he wanted to be with Krey and wouldn't mind connecting the bond if he weren't so scared of Krey's wolf, other humans might not be in his situation. Though, as far as Pip could tell, mates were perfect for each other. He was lucky to have a chance at such a loving relationship. Life could be so much worse, he could still be living with his aunt and uncle, alone. "So, will I feel um... I-In love once the bond is done?" His cheeks reddened.

"You'll probably just feel what I feel; completely fucking devoted to every inch of you." Krey lowered his head and connect their lips. Sparks fizzled in his chest when Pip kissed back.

Krey knew there would be many moment like this, where he apologises for his angry outbursts, and Pip tells him that he was scared, but accepts his apology anyway. I must work on this, for the sake of his happiness, Krey thought, holding Pip in his arms and kissing him deeply.