Chapter FORTY [end]

Start from the beginning

The cold was still a constant biting sensation. Thankfully once we finished, Courtney handed me a steaming cup of coffee. I wrapped both hands around it to warm up my fingers, feeling Calum guide me back inside towards the makeshift vanities our stylists had set-up.

We changed into different outfits two more times and were directed to other rooms for more photos. There was a shot where I had to have my arms all over Calum, our chests towards one another as I looked sideward so my profile was angled towards the camera with Calum's lips just inches from mine, and another where I was dressed in a sweater they cut into a crop top so that Calum's hands rested on my bare waist. Other than that, none of the poses were more intimate. I've done several racy photoshoots before and I usually pride myself at being professional, but it would be completely different with Calum.

Lunch time came and I was ravenous, apparently so was Calum. We ended up finishing our food faster than the other staff, and after getting permission we went to explore more of the mansion.

"Would you ever want a house like this?" Calum asked. We stepped out of the double doors which led to an outdoor dining area. The sun hadn't decided to grace us with some warth even though it was already midday, but this time I was ready and wrapped in a thick cardigan.

"You mean a house this big?" I asked, hearing our shoes against the marble flooring. "Isn't it too big? It'd be a workout getting from one place to another. Trying to maintain it would be a pain in the ass."

Calum nodded. "I think if we ever lived in a mansion we'd feel too lonely in it."

I didn't comment on the fact that he basically brought up us living together since I don't think he even noticed. Instead, I decided to ask him, "Where would you live other than Australia, then? Back to America?"

There were stairs leading down to a garden that went on until the edge of an incline. Calum, as I predicted, immediately walked up towards the edge and sat on the big rock placed there. "I'm not quite sure yet. I do, however, want to live in a place that's sunny and near the beach." He leaned back, stretching his arms over his head and I watched the sweater he's wearing roll up to reveal a silver of skin. "What about you?" He raised his head to look up at me.

"I'd want to live somewhere in Europe," I answered without skipping a beat. "Once I retire, I'd spend the rest of my days just enjoying the food and sights."

Calum shifted so his body was facing me, a sudden gust of wind passing us and blowing my hair to the side. "You already know what you want to do when you retire?"

I nodded, looking out towards the view and taking it in, letting myself relax as time seemed to slow down at this moment. "Being in the moment is nice, but I always like knowing everything's heading somewhere."

"Where do you think we're heading?"

The sudden intensity of that had me looking back at Calum, who did not back down or shy away as he was looked me in the eye. "That's a loaded question," I told him.

He smiled, a tiny bit. "Answer it anyway."

A million answers appeared in my mind just then, but I didn't immediately settle on one. Calum patiently waited, crossing his legs and clasping his hands together. I settled with saying, "I know I love you. Loving you would imply that I see myself spending a long time with you. I don't date just for the hell of it, you know that. We talked about that before."