Chapter THIRTY-FOUR

Luke

There's always something about being backstage after a runway show that made me giddy. Even though we were practically cramped in an area not big enough to fit dozens of professional cameras and it felt like I was greeting people left and right, the fluttering feeling in my stomach won't go away.

"Ms. Reese, great to see you!" I smiled at the tan-skinned woman who automatically opened her arms for a hug.

"Luke! It's been too long, sweetie," We broke apart and she took a moment to eye me up and down. "I must say, you look more gorgeous every time I see you." We both ignored the flashes directed at us. It was almost like white noise at this point, blending in with the voices floating in the background.

"You took the words right out of my mouth. I don't think it's even possible for you to look anything but radiant." Ms. Reese was an avid collector of designer pieces, you could tell that just by her get-up. It was a shame the only time I saw her was during fashion week, the fifty year-old woman truly was a joy to be around.

"Ah, still a flatterer I see." She used one hand to cup my cheek, her palm soft against my face. "You don't need flattery with your looks, young man. That alone can get you anywhere you want to go."

"I most certainly agree," An unexpected voice joined in out of nowhere. I turned around and was met with a freckled-face already staring back at me. "Hello, Luke. It's been a while." His thick, french accent was like honey dripping from his smiling mouth.

I kept my features calm as I smiled back at the male. "Oscar, it's great to see you again. Have you met Ms. Reese yet?"

"I don't believe I've had the pleasure." Oscar was as charming as he was good-looking, taking Ms. Reese's hand and planting a kiss on her knuckles. "Good evening, miss. I'm Oscar, Oscar Dumont."

"My, my, good evening to you too." Ms. Reese was automatically invested. "I saw you out on the runway. How do you know Luke?"

"We're.. friends," Oscar replied, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. He suddenly stepped closer and placed his hand on my lower back. "I don't mean to be rude, Ms. Reese, but if I could steal Luke away for just a moment?"

Ms. Reese waved both hands. "No, it's alright, dear. You two go ahead and catch up. Don't let me keep you."

I leaned towards Ms. Reese, placing a chaste kiss on her cheek and was more than a little relieved when I felt Oscar's hand drop from where it had been on my back. "I'll be sure to have dinner with you before I leave," I promised her.

She gave me a look that meant she'd hold me to it. "You know my number, Luke. Have fun now."

I almost wished that she hadn't started to walk away, because that meant I was left with Oscar in a room full of people I worked with. "I've been trying to get a hold of you," I heard him say. I was painfully aware of the cameras angled towards us once I directed my attention back towards him.

"I'm sorry, it's been quite hectic recently." At least that wasn't a lie.

Oscar smiled like he knew a secret. "Yes, so it seems. Whenever I try to contact you, you happen to be busy. I can't even get past your secretary's phone."

"I don't seem to recall you and I having anything to talk about." I kept my tone light, teasing almost, not wanting to draw more attention towards us than there already was.