Chapter 12: The end of free will

"I'm sure it was just a dream." Clark tried to reassure me as we walked inside our apartment.  "I'm ninety seven percent sure it's not just a dream, Clark. We're talking about the super villain who created Doomsday for revenge of us sending him back to Apokolips. He wants to kill you. Darkseid is a ruthless murderer." I explained as i walked up to him. "I'm not going to let him get away with trying to take over the earth." Clark told me. "But what if he kills you in the process? What if he destroys your reputation?" I asked as i walked into the bathroom and locked the door. 

Clark's POV:

I walked to the bathroom door and knocked on it. "Come on Torie, please open the door. You can't stay in there forever. Please." I begged. "Honey, please." I whispered. I heard her stand up and unlocked the door. Her face was covered in tears and that's when i took her in my arms and embraced her.  "Everything will be okay." I whispered in her ear. i rubbed her back as she lifted her head to kiss me. "I'm sorry. i never get this emotional." She apologized. "Hey, it's okay. i know you can't help it." i told her as i leaned  in to kiss her slowly. "i need you to have faith in me. Faith that i can defeat him and still return home to you." I whispered as i pulled her close.  I've never seen Torie look so sad before. "Please don't be sad. I hate it when you're sad, it makes me feel helpless." I told her as i lifted her chin and kissed her again, but this time more passionately. She pushed me on to the bed and climbed on top of me.  I couldn't help, but wrap my arms around her every curve. "You're so gorgeous." I whispered in her ear seductively. It was a total unproductive day.  Even though it was unproductive, i was still worried about the possibility of Darkseid's return, but i have to be strong for Torie. Feeling her head resting against my chest as we lay in bed gave me the confidence i needed to go strike down Darkseid. She's not going to be happy about it though.  "Torie, i have to go." I told her as i gently awakened her. "Go where?" Torie asked. "I'm going to destroy Darkseid, i'm going to assemble the league." I informed her.  "No Clark, please. i'm begging you." She begged. "I'm sorry, Torie. I have to." I told her. "Well then i'm going with you." She demanded.  "No he'll kill you. You have to stay here." I ordered. I climbed out of bed and changed into my suit. "I have to do this, and you have to stay here." I told her. "Since there is no convincing you, please come back to me this time." She whispered. "I will." I promised her before flying off to the watch tower.

Torie's POV:

I had to watch the man i love fly away to his destiny, and there's nothing i can do to stop it. I can't let despair consume this time. I have to get to the hall of justice where some heroes will be stationed. i changed into my costume. Silver Witch. I never went into full extent of my powers but i summed them up as magic, but it's more of a cosmic magic. It's hard to explain. I can get hurt but technically i don't know if i can die, i feel like it'd be a resting period.  I still have to try to organize a rescue team. I flew to the hall of justice the building seemed empty, but i still had to try anyways. The whole world is in danger. I managed to find Supergirl, Kid Flash, Batwoman, and Zatanna. "We have to be on standby, we don't know what's going on up there, so if the league needs our help we're the reinforcements." I informed them. A few hours pass by before we received a transmission from Apokolips. It was Darkseid. "The Justice League has been defeated, the world now belongs to me. Any opposers shall be killed." The transmission was then jammed. "Well i guess we're going to have to go underground." I stated. "Like the resistance from Star Wars?" Kid Flash asked. "Exactly, which means we ditch our superhero costumes." I explained. The next six months were almost unbearable, the outside city had been destroyed. Most of us take cover in bunkers or abandoned subways that have been blocked off with a secret entrance and exit. I'm no longer Silver witch.  They call me Mistress Phoenix because i have healing abilities as well as the ability to end their suffering if needed. No one has asked me to kill anyone which is good, but in this new world it would not surprise me.  Lately i have been thinking of Superman, i keep hoping he'll come back to me.  "Mistress, we've brought some other that we have found." Jimmy stated as he revealed a man in a shredded Superman costume. I could feel tears swell in my eyes. "Hey look it's Superman." I heard other people say. He walked up to me. "Superman. You came back to me." I cried. He took me in his arms and hugged me. "I promised i would." He said in a calm soothing voice. "The mistress has found her true love again." I could hear people whispering. I didn't care though. "Torie, we lost. We lost the fight against Darkseid." Clark revealed. "We lost so many people. I let you down, i've let this world down." He revealed. "Hey, not everyone can win this fight. We don't always win, sometimes it takes a greater force than just strength to fight against enemies." I reassured him as i place my hand on his cheek. He smiled as he pulled me close and kissed me. "We've got to find other heroes, i need to make this right." He told me. "I'm coming with you." I told him. "I wouldn't have it any other way." He smiled as he held his hand out. "The dynamic duo is at it again." I joked as i latched on to his arm.  "I think that's more of Batman and Robin." He smirked. As we left our 'safe house' there remained an long overdue silence.  Seeing the destroyed city wanted to bring me to tears, but i held it together.  "Darkseid is powerful, but so are you." I stated. "What's your point?" He asked. "Why do you need a team to take him down? The first time he invaded, you were able to punch him through a portal that sent him home." I asked. He sighed as he stopped walking. "Can we talk about this later?" He asked. "I guess so." I answered as we continued walking.  Just as we were walking, he noticed some parademons flying around.  That was when he grabbed my arm and pulled me into a dark alley in which he fell backward and i fell on top of him. i noticed a green tattooed 's' on his chest and his veins and eyes were green. This freaked me out as i jumped off him. He stood up slowly. "Torie, calm down. It's okay." Clark whispered. "W-what happened to you?" I asked. "I'll tell you if you calm down and be quiet. We don't want to be caught." He promised as he covered my mouth and pushed me against a wall to hide from the parademon's vision.  I finally calmed down as he grabbed my hand and led me through an underground tunnel. "In order to pass the time, i guess i'll tell you now. When Darkseid captured us, he used kryptonite to tattoo the S emblem on my chest as a reminder of who won the battle. In then process, kryptonite has laced through my veins, and in result depowered me." Clark explained.  I stopped him from walking. "Clark, i'm sorry i didn't know." I apologized. "You had the right to freak out. I'm not the man i used to be. " He uttered with sadness in his voice. I walked up to him and placed my hand on his cheek. "I'm not the woman i used to be either. What's important is if who we are is strong enough to take down Darkseid." I told him as i hugged him.